Moville, Donegal PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moville, Donegal PR

I'm looking thru some pages of the Parish Register - right now, baptisms for 1857. In the margin is written, in very different ink & handwriting, has been written "Vestry 1878" and on the next page, which is baptisms for 1858, is written "Vestry 1879"

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-01-14, 05:05. Reason: bolded the last date

And -
    what is the age on this burial record?!!
    Attached Files

Comment

The notes suggest to me that there are references to these 2 people in the Vestry Minutes of 1878 & 1879. I assume what you are looking at are the records for Moville Lower parish, Church of Ireland. If so, the vestry minutes have been copied. I assume you have an LDS film. The Vestry Minutes may be on that. If not, PRONI in Belfast has a copy.

The age on the burial looks to be 104, though the “4” seems possibly to have been written in a different pen.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Moville Upper. The date seems to be consistently 21 years later than the baptism.

On one of them (there are several in this period, the rector wrote "(this Entry was omitted by M? M????? to be registered at the proper time & place)"

Another one has "illegitimate" written under the child's name.

Most have no indication of the reason.

Comment

Yes, it looked like 104 to me, but also that it was possible that another number had been written first. He died in 1857 - I didn't expect anyone of that era to survive to that age!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            He died in 1857 - I didn't expect anyone of that era to survive to that age!
            Here’s a man from Galway who said he was 122 in the 1901 census. Clearly the air in the west of Ireland is good for the health. Your 104 year old died young by those standards. Or perhaps people occasionally exaggerated or lost track of their ages?

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Yes, but his wife & sister-in-law aren't spring chickens either! Wonder how many times he was married

So you think there may be notes in the Vestry records for those entries? Do the Vestry records for Moville Upper survive?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

So you think there may be notes in the Vestry records for those entries? Do the Vestry records for Moville Upper survive?
                Yes they do. Note that prior to 1782, it was all one parish. This what PRONI has:

C.I. Moville Upper (Redcastle) (Raphoe diocese) Baptisms, 1804-1981; marriages, 1814-1931; burials, 1815-1981, with some entries for 1812 and 1813; register, of church members and emigration details, 1870-1942; confirmation registers, 1886-1944; publication of banns, 1814-29 and 1833-91; vestryminutes,1773-1899, with cess list for 1792 (before 1782 Upper and Lower Moville were one parish).
                Elwyn

Comment

Working...
                X