Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for crawling over half a brick wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for crawling over half a brick wall?

I’ve decided to take a break away from the Phillips & Lennon sides and focus on Burton for a while, basically I’ve had a 1911 Census for Florence Burton - my Great Grandmother (married Thomas Tubridy in 1924- Great Grandfather) for such a long time and it lists her parents as George William Burton & Beatrice. I admit that for a while I did have the wrong birth attached to George (I had a Selby birth) but then I had a proper look at the birth details that came from the Census. Suffice to say I was eventually led to a few more Census records for a George W Burton born in Acomb, Yorkshire as a son to John Burton & Sophia Wright.

1911 Census-

One of the Census records (1901) included a familiar forename- Beatrice, the Surname being Broadbelt, shortly after there’s a marriage between a George William Burton & Beatrice Florence Broadbelt.

1901 Census-

Marriage-

Now it looks as if I’ve completed the puzzle doesn’t it? I haven’t at all. A random search of Family Search brought up something else. The baptisms for the children of John & Sophia Burton- John (1872), Eliza Sophia (1872), George (1864), George Wright (1878)

In case it doesn't work-
    Search Results from Historical Records
    1-5 of 5 results for Name: burton, Father Name: john, Mother Name: sophia, Batch Number:C03961-2

Now originally I have from the Census records- Herbert (1878), Ernest (1880), Mary (1868), Louisa Jane (1876), George W (1874) all born in either Great Ouseburn or Acomb, Yorkshire.

So the question is- which is right?

Thank you to anyone who wishes to attempt this nightmare
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

That all ties in OK.

From the 1881 census:- http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...l=ReturnRecord

They have Mary (1868), Sophia (1870), John (1872), George W (1874), Louisa Jane (1876), Herbert (1878) and Ernest (1880).

Sophia was baptised as Eliza Sophia at the same time as brother John, George W was baptised 4 years after his birth, and the George (1864) in the baptism records died in 1870 aged 6 (Deaths Dec 1870, Gt. Ouseburn 9a 76).

It is highly likely that the parish registers have sections missing, or have not been transcribed yet, and the rest of the children will show up in due course.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I'm an idiot aren't I? I had the Census attached to the Father but no one else which I can't figure out why & I was looking at it yesterday but those names weren't clicking in my mind. Please excuse me whilst I hit my head against a wall, preferably a metal one.

Comment

I can't open your links Sarah. It keeps telling me that I haven't got a subscription
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oops sorry Chrissie I thought it would work as I don't have a subscription & I've sent plenty of link like that before, or did I have the credits at the time?

Comment

In 1881 the Burtons are next door neighbours to 3 siblings from my family tree - Thomas, Betsy and John Claxton.:D

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Really? Small wonders indeed Jay

Comment

All I need to do now is fine tune Beatrice birth & correct surname spelling, shouldn't be to hard should it? :o

Comment

Putting a spanner in the works perhaps, BUT
                  1901 census Acomb, (at the pub) servant Beatrice Broadbelt born Borobridge c1880; & boarder George W Burton domestic groom, born York c 1874
                  Also in Acomb 1901 in the parental home – George Burton (s/o John & Sophia) fitter on the railway, born c 1874 Acomb

Before you go any further, perhaps you need to work out if these two are DIFFERENT men or the same, recorded twice.
                  In 1911 census, Beatrice’s husband George was a livery stable groom born c1873 York

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

GRO birth index

Dec qtr 1873 Gt Ouseburn dist George WRIGHT Burton

I think you really need the marriage cert for George Wllm & Beatrice to sort out the occupation of George & to get the name & occupation of HIS father.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There's a new bit of info as well Jay.

Mum mentioned yesterday that Beatrice couldn't have been Broadbelt as Nanna Mavis used to call her Nanna Downes.
                      I've found a marriage on YorkshireBDM and FreeBDM for 1919, York between Beatrice Burton & Downes.

I will take your advice & beg Granddad for some money

Comment

Seems George Burton born Acomb & locomotive fitter was at 12 Cumberland St Darlington with wife Mary in 1911
                        (George W Burton & Mary Stockdale marr Scarborough reg dist Q3 1910)

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          There's a new bit of info as well Jay.

Mum mentioned yesterday that Beatrice couldn't have been Broadbelt as Nanna Mavis used to call her Nanna Downes.
                          I've found a marriage on YorkshireBDM and FreeBDM for 1919, York between Beatrice Burton & Downes.

I will take your advice & beg Granddad for some money
                          Are you saying 1) Beatrice remarried, or 2) that her birth surname wasn't Broadbelt (or a derivative)?

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The way Mum was telling me it sounded like either Florence didn't have her Father's Surname or Beatrice re-married. I have Florence born as a Burton, married a Tubridy & died as a Tubridy, all in York.

Mum remember's it like this- Nanna had the Stepmother & either Florence or her Mum Beatrice had the Stepfather.

I've found a marriage of Beatrice Florence Broadbelt to George William Burton in 1901, York.
                            Then a marriage in 1919, York of Beatrice Burton to (I laughed) Marmaduke Downes.
                            There's a death in 1967, York of a 90 year old Beatrice Downes.

Comment

George William Burton born Selby, birth reg 1874, was in the parental home 1881 - 1901. His father was James Thomas Burton, a farmer & potato merchant. I don't think this George is your man either - my money is on the one boarding at the Acomb pub, where Beatrice worked as a servant in 1901. He just gives "York" as place of birth.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

That's the original family that I had Jay but another tree member saw it and quoted:

I doubt that this George William BURTON is the same man, as he is on the 1911 census as single, 36 years old and living with his parents and younger brother (James Thomas BURTON).
                                He is a potato merchant and farmer, but not, apparently, working from home.
                                Sorry
                                I wonder if they lied about their ages as I have yet to get proof of Beatrice either. If Beatrice re-married in 1919 and going by the birth year of 1874 for George that would possibly put him at 40's mark if he died in before 1919 but there's no deaths in York matching that info but saying that he could have signed up for WW1 but I'm having doubts about that.

Does that make sense?

Comment

It isn't necessarily a case of lying about ages - many people only had short birth certificates, which were very flimsy and easily lost (You didn't really have any need to ever produce it.) Unless you were born in a significant year, it was easy to confuse the precise year of birth as time went by and most people only needed to calculate with numbers less than 20 anyway. Large numbers were meaningless.

What about Beatrice Broadbelt, birth reg Q4 1876, reg dist Great Ouseburn? In census 1901 & 1911 her place of birth is given as Boroughbridge - this was in the Great Ouseburn district.

1881 & 1891 census Boroughbridge - Beatrice Broadbelt c 1877 d/o Robert & Jane. Robert was a bricklayer.

I can't help further with George, unless I have a name for the father, There are various candidates, but none match exactly with second name William, York as pob & 1873/4 as year of birth.
                                  As you can't get to the record office to check the bp registers, that marriage cert is one you really do need to get to be sure of tracing the RIGHT family. Seems like you've had 2 false starts already, so best to avoid a third.

I didn't spot an immediate likely death for George and wondered about WW1 service, but didn't have time to go through all the results on the CWGC site.

Jay
                                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-01-14, 22:38.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The York death - George Burton Q2 1916- was for a 2 yr old child.
                                    It could well go with the following birth - York, Q2 1914, George William Burton, mmn Broadbelt.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay you've done brilliantly

I will order the marriage certificate of Beatrice & George, we will find out the truth- eventually :p

It's taken close to 2 years just to get this far through a lot of trial & error.

Comment

So there's a marriage on Yorkshire marriages for 1861 for Robert Broadbelt & Jane Fawcett & the first child on that 1881 Census is born in 1861, although I'm not going to rule it out as being them yet.

I'll be heading to the Library tomorrow to see if there's anything I can find there using their resources. Right now I'm going to search the images of Family Search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X