Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching HALL/HOGG families Madras, India (Hall origin Ireland/Hogg origin Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching HALL/HOGG families Madras, India (Hall origin Ireland/Hogg origin Scotland

Hi to all,
    I am very happy to have found this site and hope that I can break down the brick wall I'm up against. My search is for James Edward Hall born circa 1860s Madras. James "married" Winifred May (name may be slightly askew) (maiden name unknown). They had three children we know of, my Grandfather James Gerald Hall born 1889, Archibald Fitzmaurice Hall born 1892 and Myrah (no information found to date) I have had moderate success with my Grandmother's side of Adelaide Margaret Hogg b 1891 marrying James Gerald in both 1913 and 1915 Madras due to religious reasons. If anyone could help it would answer so many questions for us. Any information no matter how small would be gratefully accepted. Hope to hear from someone who has the same family line!! Thanks Linda

Hi Linda and welcome to the Forum

I am a member of the India List and you can if you are not already a member join from www.rootsweb.com subscribe to the list then wait for a message then you can ask the list anything.
    I am right in the middle of a computer problem but will look back when I have it solved and see if I can help you in your India searches

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGVX-L3X First one for me to find is the marriage to Hogg in this Familysearch link

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG4T-2YC This James Hall was born 1840 but baptised in 1860 so it may be possible that he had not been previously baptised and about to marry so baptism would have to occur before marriage in some cases (religions) Where did you get your birth date from?

Need to get back to computer problems again back when I can

Comment

Have you seen this website? http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGVF-WS5 Archibald Fitzmaurice Hall marriage to Lylian Sybil Joseph 4 Dec 1915

Edna

Comment

Madras, India Hall/Hogg

hi Edna,
            Many thanks for your email, appreciated. Computer problems! know all about that... if you have time to look that would be great, I do belong to roots web India and receive daily emails which are sometimes of great interest. You wouldn't think looking for two people would cause so much angst!! thanks again, and hope you can find something...
            Cheers Hall Family (Linda)

Comment

Archibald Hall

hi Edna,
              you're lovely, LDS spend half my life on it. I have copy of marriage record and appreciate you sending link thru. It's his parents (my GGPs) I can find no information on... he supposedly had a sister called Myrah but nothing has turned up to confirm this. I'm confident once I have confirmation I will be at least able to confirm family connections in Madras, thank you so much xx Linda

Comment

Hall/Hogg Madras

hello Edna,

I have
                B/L marriage details for Adelaide Hogg to James Gerald Hall in Madras, they married twice for religious reasons. and from marriage details it had birth dates for them both, also marriage details for his brother Archibald with birth date. I didn't realise they were baptized before marrying - this LDS you sent thru is great info. I could look for marriages around that time. We are Catholic on my dad's side so I'm assuming so were they in India. My Grandmother's side was Protestant (Hogg).

In your opinion does it perhaps mean James Hall born 1840 and being baptized 1859 would suggest not only getting married but he was native Indian? if he had been of direct European parents would he not have been baptized at birth? - I've learnt some things over these months but I have a long way to go in understanding their life... thank you again Linda x

Comment

British Library Hall/Hogg

hi,

thank you for sending the B/L link thru, I have looked at this a lot over the months, I have collected quite a few records and put to spreadsheet for confirmation/elimination when I find something. hence my brick wall being GGPs James Edward Hall and Winifred May (name yet to be confirmed) and I am confident once we find these two it will put me on the right track to ensure tracing correct line of family. thanks heaps Linda

Comment

Linda,

I suggest you send a request to the List as some of the members are very good at finding things and have lots of access to FIBIS I am not a member of FIBIS though you can search for a name there.
                    I know sometimes in the UK if a person had no baptism record then they are baptised again before marriage but this does not mean that they were originally Native Indian just that the church required it.
                    I found my own grandfathers details with his name spelled differently than I had expected as well as lots of information is still coming on line and I found his parents burials in India then I sent to Familysearch for the actual record copies which told me what they had died from.
                    I have tried to find further information for you but nothing coming up other than those links I have added.
                    I have also looked for Myrah but nothing found for her as yet.

I looked on Hall Genealogy which is run by a man who has India connections but none of your names were in his website, try googleing for it and have a browse there.

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG5R-62V Death for James Gerald Hall in Nov 1918 India

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna,
                        thank you for being so generous with your time, very much appreciated by us. FIBIS have supplied us with information on BMDs and like you have found, nothing on the radar for the family members I'm trying to find - we may never - thanks for info be Baptisms.
                        Linda

Comment

hi again,
                          this James Gerald Hall was son of my Grandfather, he died aged about 18 months during the influenza epidemic, it's so sad, they all lost so many children,

Comment

http://rmhh.co.uk/ Try looking at this website and perhaps contact the owner as he may offer some help as he has Hall families in his website

Sorry I cant find anything else for you

Edna

Comment

Working...
                            X