Splitting Ancestry Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Ancestry Tree

My D-I-L's tree is part of my own tree and wish now I had done it separately. I don't think this is achievable on Ancestry. I do have an old version of FTM I can download the gedcom to and also have my tree on Tribal Pages.

Does anyone know a way of splitting off a branch?
    Thank you
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Elaines the expert on that, have you looked at the Family Tree Sofware board? have nudged up one of Elaines threads for you

Comment

have requested info on that thread. Thanks Val
      Kat

Comment

First of all you make a copy (or two) of the full tree and then split that, so that if you make an error in the splitting process, all is not lost.

I have Family Historian and that has a facility for splitting a tree - I would imagine most work in the same way.
        There is a facility for deleting a lot of people at once (e.g all descendents of x, all relatives of y) but you need to plan this carefully, as it can delete someone you want to keep. I tend to err on the side of caution - more laborious, but less stressful.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I use a "Diagram Split" method on Family Historian.
          I get up the diagram of the family and hide the ones I want to keep. The ones I want to split go into a "named list" and then I know I'm only splitting off those ones which the diagram has helped me select.
          As Janet said always make copies before doing this sort of risky operation!!

Anne

Comment

I can only see a way of deleting people. I cannot see a way of splitting and saving the chopped off bit as a separate tree. The branch has about 700 people on it. I want to take off my DIL so her tree is separate. I can re -attach just her to my son later. None of her tree interlinks with mine. I thought it would be easy LOL.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-01-14, 17:01.
            Kat

Comment

I did this recently with a branch of mine on FTM - a bit long winded, but it worked for me. First of all back up. Then under "File" click on "export". Select "Selected individuals". Choose your dil's name and click include. Ensure DIL's name is still selected (It tends to move down one name) then click ancestors, and if wanted, in the box that comes up, include spouses and ancestors descendants, and enter number of generations for descent (max 10). Click Ok, then Ok again. Under output format select Gedcom (mine is Gedcom 5.5). I can't get it to work any other way. I then save it to my computer,(I stick it on Desktop so I can find it again, as it is only there for a short time.)

Then go to Plan, select New Tree, the File location, and import the GEDCOM file you have just made. This is what worked for me, there maybe another easier way, maybe someone else knows of one.

Hope this works for you!
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Sorry, just realised you wanted to do this on Ancestry! However if as you say you can download it to an old FTM, you might be able to do as I said above and then upload the split one to Ancestry, then delete people from your original tree.

If you just deleted your DIL from your tree, would that delete all of her ancestors? Presumably they wouldn't show up anyway, even if they were still in the list of people?
                Linda

Comment

Thank you Linda,
                  I worked my way through but as I only have an older version of FTM it only allows me to take the 74 direct line ancestors - no siblings or other minor twigs.
                  Never mind - might have to invest in the new edition :(
                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                    Sorry, just realised you wanted to do this on Ancestry! However if as you say you can download it to an old FTM, you might be able to do as I said above and then upload the split one to Ancestry, then delete people from your original tree.

If you just deleted your DIL from your tree, would that delete all of her ancestors? Presumably they wouldn't show up anyway, even if they were still in the list of people?
                    Crossed posted. I really wanted to separate the two trees but it's no big deal if I can't. Thanks for trying.
                    Kat

Comment

Shame it didn't work, glad it made sense though!
                      Linda

Comment

Duplicate
                        Last edited by modem; 05-01-14, 12:11.

Comment

I split my maternal and paternal tree on FTM 2006 by copying it and then, on the copy

- called up the page showing my mother and father.

- clicked n the "People" button

- then the "Delete Individual" button (in this case your son)

- it will ask whether you want to delete all info on that person, click on yes

- rename the file which should just have your DIL's family info, which you can then post on Ancestry.

Can't help on an easy way to remove your DIL's family info from the original tree on Ancestry.

Comment

Ahnenblatt also let's you delete whole families from it. I would use a copy of the tree in Ahnen before deleting "Bob Cancel" and it should delete that person's descendants. You can then save it as a new GEDCOM. You can then do it again by deleting "Quickly Reply's" family.

This will then make it so that your tree (Bob Cancel) is a seperate tree again.

It also shows that your D-I-L's tree (Quickly Reply's) tree is saved as it's seperate tree as well.

You should then be able to only see who ever's tree it is that you want.

To make sure I'll open one of mine and delete a family off it without saving the changes to the tree, at least that way we'll know

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Scrap that idea!!! It's only one person at a time..
                            Last edited by lennon2011; 05-01-14, 12:25.
                            Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

LOL Lennon. Thanks Modem I will give that a try.
                              Kat

Comment

Modem this only deleted my son. My husband and I were still there with all our ancestors:(
                                Kat

Comment

Could you export your full tree to FTM, then opt for Publish, choose your DIL as "home person" or whatever it's called, untick the "inc spouse" box and that should make her tree. If you save this file under another name (say Susan's Tree), will it become a GEDCOM that you could then upload to Ancestry ?

Not tried it myself, but I have produced plenty of trees via FTM that don't start with the same home person as the Ancestry tree does, so it just might be do-able.

STG
                                  Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

What appears to be the problem is that this will only include the direct ancestors - no siblings of the parents or grandparents etc. You can only do this by starting 7 generations back and choosing Descendants but of course it would be only one line. I suppose you could do this for all the furthest back ancestor lines and then merge them all later. bit of a faff!
                                    Kat

Comment

Instead of deleting son, try detach from son, make dil home person, export file saying "entire file" as GEDcom, renaming it, store to desktop, then start new tree and import dil's tree - should have all descendants too. You can then upload that tree to Ancestry. I got all siblings and descendants when I tried it.

On your original file you can reattach her if you want.
                                      Linda

Comment

Scrap that it did copy everyone else over too, just unattached.
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X