A witness with poor handwriting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A witness with poor handwriting.

I don't really know if first name is Mara or Mary. Does the surname begin with a W or an M?
    Would appreciate some suggestions please.Jan 1.jpg

Maria Money?
    I do think the first name is written Mara and I guess that's what you have to transcribe.
    Surname could be Monet? I see it beginning with M.
    Anne

Comment

I've been having similar dilemmas lately with trancribing, I would say that it says Mara (though the writer probably thought she was writing Maria).

Comment

Surname could be Money, if the writer was too illiterate to know that a y has a descender.

Comment

The first name could be Nora.

Comment

Thanks Jill & Anne. I'll have to write what I see, so Mara is the first name but I'm not sure what I'm seeing for the surname.

Comment

Morning Fran, this is in 1862 in Liverpool, would the name 'Nora' be in use then..................not a name I come across in this time frame.

Comment

Nora/Norah is an Irish name, short for honora, which is the equivalent of Josephine apparently. So yes, would be in use at that time frame.

Comment

Morning Kyle, Happy New Year down under. I note what you say about Nora.............sounds like a Lancs/Yorks name to me.

Comment

It looks like Wones to me, there is a Mary Wones in Halewood L'pool in 1871 census. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=7

Comment

The first letters of Christian and surnames are not written the same way. The first letter of the Christian name looks more like the middle letter of the surname, which looks more like "n". It actually looks like "Nara Mones" to me, but that doesn't seem very plausible. "Monks" seems possible - or any of the suggestions above, really, since it looks like a semi-illiterate hand.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks to Susan finding a Mary Wones in Liverpool................I'll settle for that although I did like the idea of it being Monks.
                        As ever, there's plenty of help available on this Site.

Comment

what about Nora Morris???

Comment

At a glance I thought Maud Morris

Vera

Comment

Working...
                            X