Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Parish Register puzzle

This is an entry in a PR:

Surname:Wiseman Forenames:Charles Baptism Year:1784 Baptism Month:NOV Baptism Day:14 Mother:Elizabeth Pitchers Father:Thomas Wiseman Place:Northfleet County:Kent Source:St.Botolph Northfleet baptisms 1775-1837

The vicar seems to have given a surname for Elizabeth, which is unusual. If I have the right person the Thomas was married to a woman called Susannah in 1784 (since 1778). Of course it might be a late baptism and Charles might be over 6. Or does the mention of the mother's surname indicate that the parents were not married to each other? maybe Charles is an illegitimate son and Thomas has consented to him taking his surname?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

BTW Thomas was a wealthy man, the second son of a baronet, and he mentions a son Charles in his will.

Comment

I would say it looks like the parents weren't married as they dont usually put the Mothers maiden name as far as I know.

Comment

I have just found an image of the PR at

[eb-GB]Adlib Internet Server is a complete application to make the collections of archives, museums and libraries accessible over the internet. Adlib Internet Server is an add-on to the professional collection management applications Adlib Archive, Adlib Museum and Adlib Library.

and the surname is listed as Pitchers, not Wiseman so the transcription was in error. But the fact that Thomas Wiseman, a wealthy and influential man, is shown as the father suggests that he acknowledged Charles as his son?

Comment

If you look at other baptisms around the same date, you will be able to tell if the vicar normally gives the mother's maiden name - some of mine from around that time routinely give the mother's maiden name even when they are married to each other. Mostly noncon records I have to say though.

Yes, I'm sure Mr Wiseman acknowledged the child as his...no vicar would DARE upset the gentry by naming them as father unless he had acknowledged paternity. I have one such in my tree, where the vicar has written "natural grandchild of old Mr Green" rather than "bastard child of" which is what he normally wrote!

OC

Comment

Working...
          X