Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism

Firstly I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and is looking forward to a new year in 2014. So the purpose of the posting, can anyone tell me if its possible to find out about when someone was baptised? I now I was baptised three days after I was born in the hospital, but I have no records of who or if I had Godparents. I only have a small card to say Robert was baptised at the County maternity hospital Cambridge on Saturday 6th June 1964, by ... Church of England Chaplin. My mum died a few years ago and it is unlikely of my dad will have any memory of what happened. I look forward to hearing any possible answers.
    Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
    https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
    searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Rob if you know the church where the baptism took place and can get to the records Office for the area where they are held, then you will probably be able to find a microfiche for the records of that church, other than that all I can say is Familysearch have baptisms for over 100 years ago, I found my own Mothers baptism on there and those of her siblings.

Edna

Comment

Rob is saying the baptism was in hospital so not in a church at all.
      The C of E Chaplain would have been the hospital chaplain and would have been a local vicar, rector of curate. I think that usually these baptisms are done if the child is so poorly it might not survive (thankfully you did!). Then I think (but welcome corrections!) that your parents would be expected to take you to church when you were well enough to be "received in church." If you can find out which church the Chaplain was connected to there might be a record there?
      Anne

Comment

You may well be able to track down a baptism register entry, but I'm none too sure your god parents' names will be listed. In 1950 when I was baptised the C of E registers still didn't have a place to record godparents names although I believe modern ones do. Don't know when this changed.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Another thought. I wonder if there are any Godparents at hospital baptisms? The emergency nature of such a baptism may make it impossible to have meaningful Godparents ie. those who can promise to watch the child's spiritual growth.
          Anne

Comment

Working...
          X