What Happened To Lizzie Herd/Ayto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened To Lizzie Herd/Ayto

Hello, Trying to find out what happened to Lizzie Herd or Ayto, born 1876 Grantham, Lincolnshire, to Elizabeth and Robert Herd/Heard, Robert died either just before, or just after Lizzie was born, Elizabeth then married John Ayto,and he brought up Lizzie, I think she married Charles Robinson at Barrowby in 1898, I have her on the 1901 and 1911 census, living at Grantham.......and then nothing, can't find a death for her anywhere......anyone have any ideas ?......Del.
    Last edited by Del 80; 25-12-13, 16:52.
    Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

The whole lot are a bit elusive! I've had a bit of a play on this before getting into preparation of Christmas dinner but couldn't find anything useful. I got as far as finding a Probate Calendar entry for a John AYTO - but his wife is Annie Sophia (died on the same date in 1942) and the dates of their records mean it is (almost certainly) a different person.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, Yes this family is quite confusing, and the branch with Lizzie in it especially so, this John Ayto died in 1930 at Great Gonerby, I have a report of his funeral, and a Mrs.Robinson is given as one of his daughters......so Lizzie must still have been alive then, incidently the John and Annie that you have found, died when a 'plane crashed onto their house at Hough-on-the-Hill, Lincolnshire..........Del.
      Last edited by Del 80; 25-12-13, 17:50.
      Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

The lady married in 1898 Dec Qtr in Grantham to Charles Robinson.
        In 1942, two deaths are recorded for Lizzie Robinson, one in Scunthorpe Dec Qtr & the other in Mar Qtr Sleaford.
        Last edited by AlanC; 25-12-13, 20:13.

Comment

Alan, The one at Sleaford was married to a Joseph Robinson, and had the maiden name Kisby......the one at Scunthorpe looks interesting, I shall pursue it, of course Lizzie could have gone anywhere after 1911, and must have died after 1930 if she attended her stepfathers funeral, but not necessarily in 1942.......I also believe that she had a son Stanley, born in 1902 at Grantham......and I can't find him either!...........Del.
          Last edited by Del 80; 26-12-13, 08:24.

Comment

They are in 1911 Census living 9 Brownlow St., Grantham see RG14/19677. Lizzie is transcribed Linnie.

Comment

The UK, Army Roll of Honour 1939-45 has the death of a Stanley Robinson from Lincolnshire on 12th Feb 1944.
              He was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery and died in East Africa.
              Last edited by AlanC; 26-12-13, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                The UK, Army Roll of Honour 1939-45 has the death of a Stanley Robinson from Lincolnshire on 12th Feb 1944.
                He was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery and died in East Africa.
                That Stanley was aged 20 and was son of Henry and Blanche Robinson
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Alan, and Judith, Yes that is them, at 9 Brownlow St......I had seen the Stanley died in 1944, it is not him, with such a common name they are proving very difficult to find.......Del.

Comment

There is a tree on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/291...32768&pgpl=pid that has Elizabeth Hunt (Lizzie's mother) dying in 1943 - might be worth seeing if Lizzie was the informant.

Margaret

Comment

Margaret, The tree that you mention is mine, I am almost certain that Elizabeth Hunt was Lizzie's mother, she married Robert Herd, or Heard, in 1875......he died in 1876, either just before, or just after Lizzie was born, I have Lizzie on the 1881 and 1891 census as Lizzie AYTO....Elizabeth's second marriage was to John Ayto....and on the 1901 and 1911 census as Robinson.....How to find out if Lizzie was informant ?.....send for certificate ?.............Del.

Comment

Came across this old thread looking into another casualty in the area , but I can add these details ;

Sgt J K Jones +
                        Sgt H Dawson +
                        Sgt G B Crawford inj
                        Mr John Ayto +
                        Mrs Annie Sophia Ayto +
                        T/o Wattisham for a night exercise which,involved elements of the 70th Suffolk Regiment. Shortly after midnight one of the Blenheim's engines began to misfire and Sgt Jones ordered his crew to bale out but as the aircraft had descended to below a thousand feet Sgt Dawson said he would rather risk forced-landing. However, Sgt Crawford complied and jumped from the stricken bomber at 750 feet, landing in a tree from where he was rescued suffering from shock and a sprained left ankle. Meanwhile, at approximately 0015 the Blenheim crashed into a cottage at Hough-on-the-Hill, 5 miles N of Grantham, killing the occupants Mr and Mrs Ayto; both are buried in West Kesteven Rural District Cemetery. Sgt Jones was taken home to Wales and laid to rest in Dolbenmaen [Bethel] Cemetery while 32 year old Sgt Dawson's funeral was held at Hull's Northern Cemetery, their bodies having initially being recovered to RAF Spitalgate (or Spittlegate). Sadly, Sgt Crawford, who had joined 18 Squadron on 6 May 1942, was killed in a flying accident on 18 July 1942.

Comment

Thanks for that, John and Annie Sophia are distant relatives of my side of the Ayto family.....what an awful way to die...…..

Comment

Working...
                          X