UK FreeBMD Index Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK FreeBMD Index Question

So these indices show the age, district, volume & page. A long time ago I resolved there was no on-line way to find the reference to confirm if it was the person I was searching for. Has anything changed? Is there any on-line way I can take the FreeBMD data & determine if it's applicable?

The only certain way is to buy the cert, a marriage after 1914 I think will have the name of the person they married which can help if you already know it, a death will have an age at death after a certain year, or a visit to the record office to look at the parish records if the church is known.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Clematised. So the short story is nothing has changed. Oh, well, wishful thinking I guess.

Comment

Edna

Comment

The online versions of the GRO indexes is just the same as the original indexes compiled over the years since 1837. The only difference is (in the case of FreeBMD) that they have been indexed so the results are MUCH easier to find than they used to be when we had to trawl through years and years worth of books or microfiche.

We had to buy the certificate then and we have to do the same today. Mind you they are a LOT more these days LOL.
          Anne

Comment

If you are VERY lucky, someone who has already bought the cert will have posted the information in the form of a postem. I have added details of all the certs I've bought. And I have been helped by information that someone else has posted!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              If you are VERY lucky, someone who has already bought the cert will have posted the information in the form of a postem. I have added details of all the certs I've bought. And I have been helped by information that someone else has posted!

OC
              What an obviously helpful thing to do, OC! I now feel bad that I hadn't thought to do so.

There are some records for which register images might be available online, Prairie Chicken, if you're lucky. It depends very much which areas and dates you're after. Have you had a look in the FTF Reference LIbrary to see if there are any other links to help out. You can sometimes use FreeBMD info to narrow down a search in other records.

Christine

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks all. I have been thru the FTF library but that is quite some time ago now. It may be worth another visit though.

Comment

If you're talking about the Medway area, for example, there's the Medway CityArk with lost of parish register images as a Millennium project. FamilySearch also has a lot more registers accessible these days.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X