McKennitt in Donegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKennitt in Donegal

More family connections lost in Donegal.

Please note: I'm trying to place them in Donegal! I think I have the pertinent Ontario civil reg records for these people

Richard MCKENET (d. before 1851?, Ontario?) and Jane LOVE (b. 1795, Donegal)
    children
    Andrew MCKENET B. 1819, Donegal
    Robert MCKENET b. 1821, Donegal
    Richard MCKENET b. 1828, Donegal
    Margaret MCKENET b. 1831, Donegal
    George MCKENET b. 1832, Donegal
    and possibly John, William, Katherine & Alex

Immigrated to Ontario, before 1848.

Later spelling of surname McKennitt.

I can't find any McKenet on RootsIreland, except for three (unseen) census records.

I haven't looked (much) thru the "atlases" that were written in the 1800s. I'm not certain exactly where they settled: Holland Twp in later times, but when they first arrived?? Not even certain of the year of their arrival.

Can anyone see anything?

I've tried spelling it McKennet - that's brought back some records, but not my family.

Comment

There are a few McK events in the Irish civil indexes (Births, deaths & RC marriages start 1864, non RC marriages 1845). John McKennit died 1866, born 1792, registered Donegal town; Isabella McKennet died Jan – Mar 1905, born 1825, registered Donegal town; Mary McKennett died 1877, born 1797, registered Ballyshannon.

One household in Ogherbeg in the 1911 census:

and one in Lisavaddy:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Corkermore/Lisavaddy/478953/

I notice that both families were Church of Ireland.

Ogherbeg is in the parish of Killymard whose Church of Ireland records only start in 1880 (earlier records lost in the 1922 fire);

Lisavaddy is in the parish of Killaghtee. Similarly it has no records before 1873 (baptisms) and 1857 (marriages).

Both Ogherbeg and Lisavaddy fall within the Donegal town civil registration area.

As general observation Co Donegal doesn’t have many church records for the late 1700s and early 1800s. As a consequence it is often very difficult or impossible to trace ancestors from that era, even when you know exactly where they came from.

Last edited by Elwyn; 21-12-13, 13:13.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Hi, Elwyn -
        Thank you for looking. My group was all in Canada by 1848, so the ones you've found may be side branches, but they're not my direct line. The record that I paid for last night was Margaret McKennitt, buried Drimconnor/Inver/Donegal in 1819, age 75 - but I need baptisms for my group in order to know their origins! Someone on Ancestry has bought a bunch of other records, and I think they're from the same area. That family went to Brooklyn.

Familysearch has a record or two for M'Kenet, but also don't appear to be mine. I have wondered if spelling variation may be hiding them, but it sounds like you tried to cover that? "There are a few McK events"

Does anyone know of/have access to, a historical atlas for Holland from the mid-1800s? I think that's my only other hope to get a foothold in Donegal.

Sarah
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-12-13, 15:14.

Comment

McKennets from Ballyshannon

My ggg grandparents were George Mckennet born 1786 and Ellen Mackie born 1790 from Ballyshannon Ireland.I do not have any other info on them, except their daughter was Mary Mckennet was lived in New York City in the 1830s and 1840's and then moved to Ontario after her husband William Long died in 1848. She married my gg grandfather John Torrance in 1849.
          Any connection here?
          Thanks
          Heather

Comment

Hi, Heather -
            Welcome to FTF!
            The McKennets/McKennitts that I'm connected to in Ontario all list their POB as Ireland, Donegal or Ontario. It could well be that your Mary moved to Ontario to be with cousins, but I don't know a way to prove it. Have you looked for an obit for her, or found her tombstone?

Thank you for answering this thread
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Does anyone know of/have access to, a historical atlas for Holland from the mid-1800s? I think that's my only other hope to get a foothold in Donegal.

Sarah
              Hi Sarah,
              I can't help out on the Donegal or Ballyshannon front, despite my interest in these areas unfortunately, but found this on the history of Holland Township.

A quick look at the index gives 2 McKennitts (sic) but putting this in the search box gives more results on pages 64, 71, 105, 111 and 306.
              From the publication information, it seems there is a Historical Society of Holland Township so you may be able to find a way of getting in touch with them.
              If you look at the main page for Grey County, which is how I arrived at the Holland Township info above, there look to be lots of potentially useful links including some to historical and genealogical societies, cemeteries, etc. Hope it gets you somewhere...
              Oh no...don't worry, it's us, not you. The page you were looking for may have been removed.

Re Elwyn's observation were your McKenets (and variants) RC or COI?

Regards,
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 06-02-15, 10:26.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Definitely Protestant.

I have no records for them in Ireland, the only way I know to tie them to Donegal is a census record where birthplace is Donegal.

Will look at the links you gave later when time allows - thank you!
                Sarah

Comment

This is an excerpt from a family member about my Mckennets:

"Mr. George Mitchell Long was born in New York City, with his father, William Long, had come from Londonderry, in Ireland. His mother, was Mary daughter of George and Ellen Mackie McKennet of Donnegal. Her father had been in the police service at Ballyshannon and she met and was married 1836 in NY City to her husband after crossing Atlantic"
                  Mary Mckennet died
                  6 Aug 1883in Stayner Division, Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
                  He had been living with my great Aunt Susan Torrance.

Comment

Heather -
                    Have you researched in Ontario? There are many active gensoc's, who have worked their way thru old newspapers for BMD information, and transcribed them into books.

It sounds like Mary may have been born in Donegal? An obit for her might provide a POB.

Elwyn, would there be any surviving records for someone who was in police service?

"He had been living with my great Aunt Susan Torrance." - who had been living w/ G'Aunt Sue?

Also, not sure when it happened, by mine started out as McKennet and became McKennitt.
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-02-15, 06:35.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      Heather -

Elwyn, would there be any surviving records for someone who was in police service?

Yes there are records for police officers going back to 1816. The main police force then was the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC). There are copies of service records in the National Archives London, National Archives, Dublin, in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast and LDS have also filmed them. If you don’t have access to those sources, the police museum in Belfast also has copies, and will do look ups (for a fee). See:

There were other law enforcement officers in the early years eg the Revenue Police. They were disbanded in 1857. However, statistically he’s most likely to have served with the RIC.
                      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Hi, Elwyn
                        Thanks again for sharing your expertise!
                        Sarah

Comment

I meant to say, she (Mary lived with her daughter Susan Torrance Levy in Stayner Ontario). I have searched records online, census records, BDM, etc and it is hard to find exact proof sometimes. A family member had sent me info about this family, long before online searches were possible, but she had hit brick walls as well.
                          Thanks for your help.
                          Heather

Comment

Working...
                          X