Incoming UK Passenger Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming UK Passenger Lists

Hello everyone, Im wondering if someone can help me with some incoming passenger information, my grandfathers family returned to the UK from Canada sometime between late 1909 and the UK census in 1911..??? if anyone is able to give me some help I would be very greatful, I will list the family that would have travelled:

William Edward Welch born 17/09/1880
    Florence Welch born 4/6/1879
    William Robert Welch born 10/1900
    Florence Maud Welch born 10/1902
    Alexander Fredrick Welch born 06/1904
    Joseph John Henry Welch born 9/9/1909

I don't know what port they returned to in the UK so any help would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Gordon

Looks as though they arrived in Liverpool on 14 Aug 1909 from Montreal on the ship Megantic, although the wife's name is Mary, everything else matches.

Ah, just noticed your date of birth for Joseph?? This is the list
    Wm Welsh 25
    Mary Welsh 27
    Wm Welsh 8
    Florence Welsh 6
    Alex Welsh 5
    Joseph Welsh 1/2 (half)
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-12-13, 00:03.

Comment

Thanks Anne, so very very close... but I know my grandfather (Joseph) was born in Sept 1909 in Montreal

Comment

Gordon

Do you have the 1909 birth cert?

OC

Comment

Is this them in 1911 - if so John Joseph is stated to be 3, which would have given a birth date of approx 1908, which would tie in with the passenger info Anne found.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

William Edward Welch, Husband, 30, born Willesden
          Florence Welch, wife, 31, b. Willesden
          William Robert, son, 10 ,b. Willesden,
          Florence Maud, daughter, 8, b. Willesden
          Alexander Fredick, son,6,b. Willesden
          (Alice Louisa, daughter, 3 months, b. Montreal, Canada, dead)
          John Joseph, son, 3, b. Montreal, Canada
          Last edited by ozgirl; 21-12-13, 10:13.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Baptism for John Joseph Henry Welch, son of William and Florence Anscombe (or Auscombe). Born on 9 september 1907, Baptised 6 Nov 1907 in Montreal, Canada.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/10...l=ReturnRecord
            Linda

Comment

Hey thanks guys that's the right one, as Im not a member of ancestry uk can someone just let me know the ship details and port and date of arrival.. Thanks again your all; so very helpful

Comment

OC

No birth cert's in Canada before 1911, but I do have the Baptism record which shows my grandad was born 9/9/1909

Comment

The ship was the Megantic of the White Star Line
                  They boarded at Montreal and other passengers boarded at Quebec
                  They were disembarked at Liverpool on 14 August 1909
                  William is listed as a labourer and the family are listed as English

Anne

Comment

Very odd that the 1907 child and the 1909 child should have exactly the same birthday, though, don't you think? Ozgirl has found the baptism with a date of 1907 not 1909.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Gordonhm View Post
                      OC

No birth cert's in Canada before 1911, but I do have the Baptism record which shows my grandad was born 9/9/1909
                      Are you sure the birth date is 9/9/1909 not the actual baptism?
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        Baptism for John Joseph Henry Welch, son of William and Florence Anscombe (or Auscombe). Born on 9 september 1907, Baptised 6 Nov 1907 in Montreal, Canada.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/10...l=ReturnRecord
                        That's interesting. ...and the passenger lists shows Mary as mother not Florence??? Nice little puzzle to sort out
                        Kat

Comment

If there really were two children called John joseph, one bp 1907 and one bp 1909, then Florence must have travelled to the UK AFTER 9 September 1909 - is she on any shipping list? And what happened to her son born in 1909, because the 1907 one is on the 1911 census and on the passenger list too.

My money is on the simple explanation that 1907 has been misread as 1909.

OC

Comment

I am assuming that "Mary" was mistakenly entered instead of Florence. She is shown as his wife on the list. I know we should watch out for co-incidence but this grouping of names and ages seems to match the family in the 1911 census, except that the wife is Florence on the census. Joseph's age is shown as 3 on the 1911.

For me the clincher is that there is no other Alexander/Alex Welch/Welsh of remotely the right age or time scale travelling from Canada to England.
                            Anne
                            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 22-12-13, 12:57.

Comment

Birth and baptism records were prone to human error and are NOT always correct.

The bp cert for my Mum's paternal grandfather records him as having been bp 3 days before his date of birth - we suspect the recorded month of bp was wrong; the dob on the bp cert & on the birth certificate are the same.

My grandfather's birth was registered on 24th December - the registrar recorded that he was born on 26th December (2 days later. ) Grandad always celebrated his birthday on Nov 27th!

I have other instances of year of bp being out by 2/3 yrs, especially if it wasn't an infant baptism. I'm not saying that that was what happened in this case; just confirming that sometimes dates on certs can be misleading.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                That's interesting. ...and the passenger lists shows Mary as mother not Florence??? Nice little puzzle to sort out
                                The interesting bit I think is - why William and Florence Anscombe (or Auscombe)? Perhaps Anscombe was her maiden name? Do you have the marriage cert?
                                Kat

Comment

William Welch married Florence Luscombe in Jun q 1900 (Paddington 1a 48). I think this one is quite likely.

Link to marriage cert on Ancestry - 27 May 1900, both aged 20, He a builders Labourer, she no profession, living at 186 Shirland Road (both of them, His father is Joseph Welch, a plasterer and hers is John Luscombe, also a plasterer. Witnesses were James Henry Luscombe and John Stickney.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...l=ReturnRecord
                                  Last edited by ozgirl; 22-12-13, 15:18.
                                  Linda

Comment

Sorry my mistake yes it should of been 1907... and thank you very much for the information I can now have the return info to my charts as well... once again thankyou to everyone that has had input into this..

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                                    X