Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merchant Navy CR10 certificates

Hi all. Looking for help on this.
    I have been researching the Henaghan name for a friend. I have her Grandfather , John Henaghan, born Northumberland in 1896.

John was in the Merchant Navy and served on the SS Radhurst, was lost at sea in 1943 when his ship was torpedoed with all crew lost. I have all details of this.

Checking seamans records I also found the CR10 record issued before 1921, which shows his Merchant Navy Indentification number: 478080
    His name ,Rank and date and place of birth
    On the second page ,or other side it also has his photo( great find for the family). Besides the picture there is the name " Francia with what appears to be a date 30 4 20

I can only think that the Francia is a ship.
    A search shows a small cargo ship of that name.
    Problem is the ship went aground and was wrecked just off the North Cornwall coast in 1917, so does not appear to corelate to the numbers or date shown

Anyone got any ideas . Would this name francia have been a ship he served on.
    Is it a date shown.

Any help whatsoever appreciated.

At the moment I cannot edit or add attachments, so the image of the CR10 Merchant Navy card can be viewe from dropbox here:

Comment

That should be a ship he served on, and the date.

The one that sank is listed as Argentinian and built in 1905 but it appears there may be another Francia built in 1915:

Last edited by AntonyM; 15-12-13, 16:39.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
        That should be a ship he served on, and the date.

The one that sank is listed as Argentinian and built in 1905 but it appears there may be another Francia built in 1915:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...?uri=C10691532
        Many thanks for that AnthonyM. Brilliant

Yes it was another Francia, and met the same fate. Just found a copy of the Board of Trade enquiry , The Francia hit some rocks of the coast of France in 1922 and sank. Master and first officer were found to be at fault.

Comment

Working...
        X