What did a 'sand man' do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did a 'sand man' do?

After a few months break I'm returning to some family history research.

I have an ancestor who, according to his burial record, was a 'sand man'
    Has anyone any thoughts to what this involved? - it was Norfolk in the late 1850s.

Many thanks for reading.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Perhaps he supplied sand to people for building purposes. Did he live on the coast of Norfolk?
    Margaret

PS have a look here for the meaning of 'old' occupations http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/f...ccupations.php
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-12-13, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
      After a few months break I'm returning to some family history research.

I have an ancestor who, according to his burial record, was a 'sand man'
      Has anyone any thoughts to what this involved? - it was Norfolk in the late 1850s.

Many thanks for reading.
      Somewhere at the back of my mind I have a feeling a Sand Man was a person who emptied middins, (outside toilets). He came during the night or very early morning putting sand over and emptying the contents of the toilet through a trap door in the wall of the privy.

Just seen the link below and a SANDESMAN is an ambassador or a messenger? Is that the same as a sandman?
      Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 12-12-13, 20:55. Reason: edit
      Twiglet

Comment

The middens were emptied by the soil/night soil man - in the NE anyway.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you found him in the 1851 census? What was his occupation then? Where in Norfolk did he live/die?
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You could be right, they had different names in different areas, over here in Lancashire they were called the sand man.
            The only other sand man was in songs to help children go to sleep, unless he was one of them?LOL
            Twiglet

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Have you found him in the 1851 census? What was his occupation then? Where in Norfolk did he live/die?
              His name was James Wells and the only helpful reference I have to his occupation is from the burial register:
              11 Sep 1836. James Wells (aged 61, Dereham, sand man) was buried. Parish of St. Nicholas, East Dereham. [FreeREG]

Also, apologies for getting the date wrong in my original post. James died in East Dereham in the mid-1830s. In all other documents found so far he is just described as a labourer.
              Kind regards,
              William
              Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
              X