• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New today on Ancestry

Surrey, England, Electoral Registers, 1918-1945 and

West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962

Happy Hunting

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 12-12-13, 07:47.

thank you very much - will go hunting.
    Angelina

Comment

Thank you, off now to look at West Yorkshire.

Comment

West Yorks looked great but sadly they don't cover anything like the whole area. They don't even stick to the same area, so one period of time is around Dodworth, then for the next years its only for Keighly (for my family name anyway). The family didn't move since I visited them on many occasions!
        Anne

Comment

I've had no problem with my West Yorkshire ones, Anne.

Comment

So, to give an example, my STRUTT family lived in the Dodworth/Barnsley area during the whole of the period covered. They start to show up when they qualify for a vote and there are plenty from 1890 to 1915. Then the records for that area stop

Comment

See what you're getting at, Anne. Unfortunately not all areas are covered to 1962.

Also one of mine - Charles Lockwood of 'Little Royd' was in the Book covering Parliamentary Division 'West Riding South' in earlier years, then later at same address but in Holmfirth Parliamentary Division.

Comment

Mine not appearing in Halifax/Brighouse at any date, but Elland ones are there. Can't remember the names of the constituencies - they changed quite a bit I think. Anyone know if there are details of the present coverage? It's not like Ancestry not to be clear about coverage, they must be taking a leaf out of Findmypast's book, they drive me mad announcing things with a big fanfare which turn out to be very partial. I expect Ancestry will update

Comment

shipley seems to well covered, which is where one of my families lived. the other was from pudsey, and i only have my ancestor in 1914/5. he died in 1926. so i wonder if this is just the initial record set, and they will add to it, as they do with their parish records.

Comment

i know some in some area on england records were lost in ww2 .
                    might be worth email the local library/ archives to see what records they have.
                    just so you are not looking for something that is not there
                    wye surrey/london/birmingham
                    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I know the Brighouse ones exist, as I've had a lookup from them before. The record office first of all said they didn't have them, then came back to tell me they did after all.

To my recollection they are kept in the local offices, rather than centrally at Wakefield. Probably Ancestry haven't done them all. I hope they will.
                      Last edited by Marmaduke 123; 14-12-13, 16:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X