Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Killers of the Victorians ON NOW

For anyone who didn't know BBC4

I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Quite an eye opener!

Lesley.

Comment

The mangle thing....I have a twiglet in my tree who died when she fell through the rotten kitchen floor into the cellar below, where she broke her back across the mangle underneath.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        The mangle thing....I have a twiglet in my tree who died when she fell through the rotten kitchen floor into the cellar below, where she broke her back across the mangle underneath.

OC
        OUCH! what a dreadful way to go.. poor soul.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The death cert says "Paralysis caused by broken back three days". Can you imagine?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            The death cert says "Paralysis caused by broken back three days". Can you imagine?

OC
            I don't even want to think about that, *shudders*
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I looked at the newspaper article on the little girl they mentioned Rose Eliza Day quite shocking reading, my mum had a mangle right up until I was about 16 and then she went all posh and got a washing machine.

Comment

Sorry I missed it, it sounds very interesting. I'll watch it on catch up TV.

Comment

worth watching Susan

Comment

I took the end from my finger in the mangle , well wanted to see how clothes went through was lucky hspital could stitch it back on
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

you were lucky Babs must have hurt like hell

Comment

My Mum had one also - she kept it in the garden - when washing had been done in "Copper" (a big cauldron of boiling water heated from underneath with a gas ring - for the benefit of younger people reading this!] She eventually gravitated to a washing machine but I, too, was fascinated by the "ringer" as she called it - she let me turn the handle sometimes. It had its own cover so the rollers stayed clean. I was so sad to see it go but then I never had to use it ......even in the snow and ice it was used.
                        I have noticed that these are now works of art in some places to display in the garden - would love to have one again - to look at, not to use - it would have to be green and red - I would grow clematis round it!

Sue
                        Last edited by Sue1; 12-12-13, 10:00.

Comment

It's actually on quite a few times. I've definitely seen it on BBC4 a while ago.
                          Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X