Tracing my Grandfather’s Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing my Grandfather’s Death

I cannot trace my Grandfather’s death record and would appreciate any suggestions.

William Edward Bran bn 11 November 1867 Tower Hamlets, London, son of Edward Lewis Bran and Sarah Dring. I have been able to trace him throughout his life on line as he was on the Electoral Role between 1926 – 1939. I know that he died before I was born in 1947.

He had an serious accident during the 1920s or earlier, that left him disabled (I have a photograph of him in a bathchair). He always lived in London. He did not live alone after his accident firstly with one of his daughters and her husband, between 1926 - 1937 and then one of his sons lived with him until 1939. I cannot trace where the son was between 1939 and 1945 but that he got married in Worcestershire in that year.

The trail after that is lost. I have 2 theories: he went to Scotland to stay with relatives of his son-in-law and died in Scotland or he could have been evacuated and died at the place where he was staying.

I would appreciate your thoughts – many thanks

I'm not seeing a death for him in Scotland (Scotland's People is fre to search) and there dioesn't appear to be a death that fits in england.

I suspect his name has been mistranscribed, probably as Brand. Have you explored that option?

EDIT - and with that in mind, how about this one?

William E Brand 76 Mar 42 Wandsworth 1d 730

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-12-13, 10:11.

Comment

You are also looking in the war years when son would probably have been serving in the services and gone off fighting somewhere else which would make things more difficult but I agree with OC it is probably a mistranscription, and also remember the details given at the time of death are only as good as is known by the person reporting it.

Edna

Comment

That death looks good (probable mistranscription) as there is no birth for a William E Brand close to 1866/67. The nearest are in 1861 and 1869.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-12-13, 10:53.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You are all awesome.

Having spent much time head scratching, feel a bit silly not thinking about the errors especially as all the Electoral Rolls entries mistranscribed his name ie Brand. Do I feell like and idiot!!! The percentage success is very high indeed as the last known address is in the Wandsworth district! I will send for a certified copy of death from the GRO and that will confirm and give me some more info about where he died and who registered the death.

I did try to find some info about my uncle serving in WW2 without much success but there is a possibility that he may not have been fit enough for enlistment or that he was doing essential work. I will look into that more thoroughly a bit later.

Many thanks indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X