Baptism entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism entries

I've got someone baptised in Grantham, Lincs, in the 1860s....this is the only record showing her parents outside Nottm &, as far as I know, neither parent had relatives there. But there were a few families in Grantham with the father's surname & I think there may have been a connection....so that may have been the reason they were there (they obviously didn't stay long). Would the baptism entry show their place of residence ? (maybe they were staying with relatives & I can tie it up with the census records). I've got a baptism record from Nottm of 1820 which states the road where the parents were living, but I don't know if that was usual.

I have just looked up one of my baptism entries in 1862 just to check, and there is a column for ABODE, written is just the area they were from and no address is given. I hope this might be of some help?
    Vonny

Comment

Most of the baptisms I have transcribed, that have given an address, have only given an area and not a full address.
      Last edited by WendyPusey; 08-12-13, 21:29.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

If the baptism was in Grantham but they were actually from Nottingham I'm fairly sure it would say so, even if only 'Nottingham'. On the other hand if they were temporarily living in Grantham then it would just say their address or road there.
        Anne

Comment

Thanks a lot.....I'd better order a copy, as it would be interesting to know if they were "just visiting" (but, if so, the only reason I can think of for having a baptism there would be if you visited someone with your highly pregnant wife.....most considerate....& the baby was ill & you had an "emergency baptism")

It's not even on the way to Skeggie !
          Last edited by greyingrey; 09-12-13, 07:46.

Comment

you might be able to find it for free on 'lincs to the past' the archives website for lincolnshire. they do have many registers online.

also, findmypast has some lincs records too, incomplete, and not indexed.

if you know the town and a rough year, i could look at fmp and tell you if the record is on there.

Comment

Thanks, kylejustin. This baptism does have a special significance....the baby was given her grandmother's maiden name as a middle name, which is how I was able to identify my gggg grandmother, & it's only given in the birth documents

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                Thanks, kylejustin. This baptism does have a special significance....the baby was given her grandmother's maiden name as a middle name, which is how I was able to identify my gggg grandmother, & it's only given in the birth documents

grey, www.lincstothepast.com is a good free online source as Kyle says you may find the baptism on there, [the original books have been scanned]
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh, that's interesting, Julie....look what I've found. Something to do with an Asher Bradley in 1857 (what does the abbreviation admon mean ?). I have been in touch with someone with Ashers in Grantham & they reckoned they couldn't possibly have any Jewish ancestry....

Comment

Admon is an abbreviation for "Administration" - the equivalent of probate for an intestate estate (or an invalid will).
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

Working...
                      X