Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of Eliza Cain

Hi,

Can someone help me with finding the death certificate of Eliza Cain.
    I know but very little of here, the most important item being her marriage certificate.
    She was married on 10 October 1855 with H.E. Bird in Lambeth. This can be checked
    easily on ancestry.

Her death occurred at last in 1869, but it is equally possible that she died earlier.

many thanks,
    Hans

Hans,
    Do you know if there were any children, or have you found Eliza and Henry Bird in a census. It would help if we had a rough idea of her age and the last place she can be located before her death.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I think this is the widowed Henry in 1871, http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/76...nSearchResults in which case he would have been about 25 when they married and probably Eliza would have been a similar age or maybe a few years younger?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes, that does look good. Just couldn't see anything.
        So Henry was born c 1830 Portsea, Hants.
        Be useful to find them in 1861 as well! Off to look.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the quick reaction. HE Bird was born in 1829. I found him in several censuses, but not in those of 1851 and 1861. If anyone could locate him in those it would be extremely useful, but it will be difficult :-).
          I don't have a clue if they had children. If they had the child wouldn't have lived very long.
          In the marriage certificate he is described as bachelor, she as spinster. Maybe she was therefore older than him? Her father was named Robert Cain and, perhaps, already deceased by then.

Hans

Comment

I wonder if this is the 1851 census for Henry Bird - recorded on the census as Willie E Bird

HO107; Piece: 1529; Folio: 369; Page: 3;
            Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Household recorded as:
            Henry Bird 51 - occupation Hotel Keeper
            Ann E Bird 44
            Willie E Bird 21 - born Portsea, Hants - occ. Accountant
            George Nicholls 38
            Betsey Stevens 17
            Thomas Holl 38
            James Meggs 17
            James Bentley 30
            Frances Rushworth 24
            Mary Garratt 21
            Alfred Warner 24
            Martha Sayers 38
            Elaine

Comment

I keep coming back to this as a possible burial for Eliza

London, England, Deaths and Burials (source Ancestry)
              Eliza Bird - age at death 39 (born c 1829)
              Burial Date: 22 Oct 1868
              Parish - Kensal Green All Souls
              Borough - Kensington and Chelsea

- which I think matches this death registration
              FreeBMD Death Index
              Eliza Bird
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
              Date of Registration - Oct-Nov-Dec 1868
              Registration District: Kingston
              Volume: 2a
              Page: 139
              Elaine

Comment

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp Ordering Certificates on Line just in case you don't know they are £9.25

Edna

Comment

1891 census. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

Possible 1841. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

Hi all,

Many thanks for the reactions.
                      Elaine, what you found of the census 1851 is magnificent! The information about father (Henry) and son (Henry Edward) is completely correct. Strangely enough the facts about the mother are wrong. She was called Mary Ellen, and also about 50 years old.

Susan, can you inform me about the way you retrieved the result of the census of 1891? I only have library access to ancestry, and cannot login by clicking your link.

I'll check the link containing the date of death. Thanks

Hans

Comment

Hans, apologies for my assumption that you had access via subscription to Ancestry.

1891, Newington, St Saviour Southwark. RG12; Piece: 367; Folio: 68; Page: 1

Cecelia Webb 63
                        Henry Ewd Bird 61, boarder, Accountant and Journalist, Hannover, Gartsea (original sheet does say Hants Portsea.
                        Susan J Mellors 39

I'll post details of the other link in a minute

Comment

1841, not certain this is your Henry, but looks promising.

St Luke Middlesex. Edward and Louisa born Middlesex, all others born out of County. HO107; Piece: 666; Book: 2, Folio: 37; Page: 30

Henry Bird 42, Clerk
                          William Bird 15, Clerk
                          Henry Bird 11
                          James Bird 7
                          Edward Bird 2
                          Louisa Bird 7 Mo

Comment

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the details about 1891! I already found the 1841 census (the same given by you).
                            I still miss the one of 1861, when he was married with Eliza Cain.

Hans

Comment

I have one additional question. Is it possible to check an address if the road is known? Concretely I'm interested in both 13 and 44 Clapham Road, Lambeth, for the census of 1851.

Thanks,
                              Hans

Comment

You can search a census by address on Findmypast - which is subscription or ppv.

Alternatively you should be able to locate an approximate census reference by using the Historical Streets Project -

Scroll down page and pick census year (under the section labelled BROWSING) - then select registration district (LAMBETH) and then use the A-Z street index to find what you are looking for.
                                Using the reference given, you can then search Ancestry by reference rather than name etc.
                                Elaine

Comment

13 Clapham Rd, has Charles Goldsmith and his family, plus servants Sarah Burt, Sarah Street and Jane Long.

Unfortunately the street numbers are only listed up to 26, after that only Clapham Road is entered without numbers. Do you have a particular surname in mind?

Comment

Hi,

About 13 Clapham Road : the exact address may have been 13 Clapham Road Place (I thought this was the same, apparently not). In the early 1840's it was occupied by the Bird family. In 1909 their daughter Jane died there. As they lived somewhere else in 1851, I wonder if the daughter remained at 13 Clapham Road Place or not.
                                    About 44 Clapham Road or Road Place : I expect to find Henry Jacobs and his wife.
                                    @Elaine : I found the reference (HO 107/157 4318-324) at the wiki, but don't see how I can find it on ancestry. There seems no reference square to fill in, apart from a lot of districts that I can chose from.

Comment

About the reference in ancestry : I've been blind, I guess. Sorry.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm confused about this search function of ancestry. A minute ago I could search on folio etc, and now I don't see these possibilities anymore in the advanced search option.

Comment

Working...
                                        X