Deleting Family Tree Branch in FTM 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting Family Tree Branch in FTM 2010

I am using FTM 2010 with a single large file. I now find that one of the major branches needs to be removed. The branch that needs to be removed is quite large, with over 1,000 folks in it.

There are quite a number of instances in this unwanted branch where an individual ancestor occurs in this unwanted branch and also in other branches which are the result of my being descended from several children of that individual ancestor. As each ascending branch arrived at the individual ancestor, a "merge" was done, so that all the children emanated from the individual ancestor. If I use the "Delete individuals in <chart name>" approach to removing the unwanted branch, I am concerned that removal of that branch may eliminate all traces of the individual ancestor in the retained branches, causing substantial damage to the rest of the tree. Does removing the branch only impact the relationships in that branch, and leave that ancestor still identified in other branches?

Are there any other issues that I take into account when deciding on a method for removing the unwanted branch?

Rod, are the people you want to remove descendants of one person, ancestors of one person, or a mix ?
    Elaine

Comment

Actually I am not sure it matters whether they are ancestors or descendants, I would tackle it in the same way.

The first thing to do is to make sure you have a back up copy of your tree - just in case! Or alternatively, copy your data file to another part of your computer, rename it, and then move it back into the FTM folder in My Docs and use that one to "play with".

Your main worry seems to be removing someone who is linked elsewhere in the tree - and I don't know the answer to this - so I would suggest you find a name or two, so you can check to see what's happened after you have done the deletion. If it's not working how you want it to you can fall back to the saved back up or the original data file and attack it in another way!

I don't have FTM 2010 on my computer but I am sure this works with 2010 - certainly works with 2011 onwards. What I would do is use the chart facility to delete a large chunk of my tree. There are some instructions on the following link:

It's fairly self explanatory, obviously you choose the type of chart which is most appropriate, e.g. ancestor chart or descendant chart - you may well have to do it twice if your deletions contain both ancestors and descendants of the person's branch you are trying to delete.

If it's not clear, come back and I'll see if I can help further.
      Elaine

Comment

Removing Branch

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Rod, are the people you want to remove descendants of one person, ancestors of one person, or a mix ?
        Elaine: It is a branch consisting of the ancestors of one individual. Rod

Comment

Then I would try doing it using the chart method - see my link in post #2

... BUT make sure you either do it on a duplicate file (just copy your original and rename it) - or make sure you have a full back up before you do anything.

Let us know how it goes!
          Elaine

Comment

nudged up

Comment

I don't want to delete this branch. I was hoping to cut it off and save it on a separate gedcom.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Sorry - posted wrong thread but the help is required please.
                Kat

Comment

This is my original question.
                  Thank you
                  Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X