• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only freezing on one programme ?

Good morning.
    this laptop was bought in February and started playing up last week
    after having problems - I re set my laptop to "factory settings "
    very frequently McAfee is popping up stating "McAfee has allowed a programme "
    everything seems to be working fine - EXCEPT - Facebook......EVERY time I put in www.facebook.com - the laptop freezes ??
    has anyone any idea why ??
    thanks
    allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

seems its a common problem Allan have a look at this
    Facebook Freeze - posted in Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications: When I log into facebook, it loads, then the page freezes. Wife has same problem. We've been using FB for years with no problems. Can't scroll down. Can't log off. I have to run task manager to stop program. Running IE 8 browser. McAfee virus scanner. No other apps affected. No pop ups. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

and personally I would get rid of McAfee and install Microsoft Essentials its free and so far brilliant.

Comment

Thanks Val....I will try uninstalling McAfee and install Microsoft Security Essentials and see what happens
        cheers
        allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

make sure you completely uninstall Mcafee there is a uninstall Mcafee tool you can google for.

Comment

this is Kasperkys links to uninstalling Mcafee
            Overview of settings and features available in a Kaspersky application and guides on how to use them.

Comment

Before doing anything drastic like removing software, is your operating system completely up to date? Are you using the most up to date version of your browser of choice? Do you have the same problem with other (up to date versions of course) browsers? Can your broadband speed cope?

FB and the rest of the world will keep updating itself and if you stay with older or not up-to-date systems and browsers you are quite likely to start running into problems such as slow/non-existent connections and/or programmes trying to run and appearing to freeze.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

thank you both ...I have uninstalled McAfee....including Browser setting - I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials - took about 45 mins to scan - "NO threats to laptop - went on www.facebook.com ...FROZE straight away ...I couldn`t get that link up before about Facebook freezing ...will try again now...
                cheers
                allan

Comment

Thats odd Allan, are you using a link in your favourites to connect to FB ? I sometimes find if I delete that and clear the cache it works.
                  Also what Browser are you using have you tried Google or Firefox ?

Comment

it seems people on FB are saying the same thing
                    Войдите на Facebook, чтобы общаться с друзьями, родственниками и знакомыми.

Comment

thanks Val...tried everything suggested on those links - Google Chrome as Browser default - etc...still no joy ....keeps freezing ...I would have thought Facebook themselves would sort out the problem if lots of people are in the same situation ??...anyway...just won`t go on facebook ....other than that - everything seems fine ...THEIR loss...thanks for all your input
                      cheers
                      allan

Comment

hope you like Microsoft Essentials nice to get something free which works, lots of us on here use it.

Comment

I was impressed when it took 40 minutes to scan and scanned over 12,000 items....

Comment

Hiya Val - 7pm last night "Windows needs to update 121 configurations "...this took EIGHT HOURS .....Everything is working perfect now - including Facebook ...I can only presume that when I re set to "factory settings " ..all the Windows Updates were not downloaded ...so - a very happy ending eventually ...thanks very much for your help and assistance
                            cheers
                            allan

Comment

WHen you restore to factory settings, it is with Windows as it was when when the computer was first built. All the updates need to be downloaded again, which as you have discovered can take some time. I recently did this on an 18 month old laptop and it took 15 hours!

Microsoft used to release service packs every so often with all the updates in that you could download and burn to a CD; then when you reset you just had to load the CD. I haven't seen a service pack for some time, so not sure if they still do them.
                              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                              Devine in Ireland

Comment

The problem with Facebook is that it also has adverts etc on it that do not run direct from the FB site, but are run by scripts linking to external sites (known as cross scripting)
                                It could have been that your AV was 'fighting' some scripting, as it was displaying suspicious activity and this was causing the problem.

And by the way
                                On all official AV tests for the quality of protection
                                MS essentials scores very low!

Researching:
                                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

glad its okay now Allan, Trevor quite a few of us on here use MS essentials and are quite happy with it, what was it compared to ,I'd be quite interested.

Comment

thank you all...quite happy with laptop now
                                    cheers

Comment

Working...
                                    X