DNS anybody tell me how to change mine easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS anybody tell me how to change mine easily

Even after the engineer coming and changing the phone sockets and all sorts still having trouble getting on the web , have finally realised its the DNS Servers after googling and finding lots of talktalk customers with the same problem, I am going with BT in a couple of weeks but till then want to change this so I can hopefully get on without a problem.
    Have seen there is a sort of fix but not sure where I go to change the settings.
    Thanks

If you are sure you want to do this and are running Windows then Open Network and Sharing Centre (from Control Panel or right-click on your network icon in the system tray).
    When that opens choose Change adapter settings from the list on the left. This will probbaly just list one adapter unless you have both WiFi and Ethernet.
    Then select your connection, right-click and open the Properties sheet.
    The protocol you are looking for in the list is Internet Protocol Version 4. Select that and click the properties button. In the General tab it is probably set at Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    If you still want to continue then select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter an alternative DNS. You should also select the Validate settings upon exit. You can of course reverse the procedure in much the same way.

Comment

thanks for replying David I'm running Vista, I am furious with Talktalk all they have done is pass the buck they must know what the problem is.

Comment

As a diagnostic to elimate ISP DNS problems when fault finding I often use Google's:-

There is also OpenDNS, another free public DNS:-

Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

thats what I heard Pete but how do I change mine to that PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Comment

Just a thought - don't know if you mentioned it, but do you connect your router to computer via ethernet cable or wireless?
            Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

The following instructions are explicit for XP and Vista

Comment

Ethernet Linda as this PC is not wireless, I'm going to get a wireless adapter to see what happens ,thanks again David will look at that.

Comment

I had a thought that if you were using wireless it might be your wireless card. But using ethernet cable rules that one out. Back to the drawing board.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thanks Linda but I have been googling and have found lots of people having the same problem Talktalk must know whats wrong with mine there are so many of us,very bad of them to not admit they have problems their end.
                    Keeping my fingers cross BT are better.

Comment

Working...
                    X