William L. Dodman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William L. Dodman

I am researching William Dodman b. 1821 Snettisham, Norfolk, England - d. Zone Twp., On., Canada, 18 Jul 1875.

While researching his son & 1st born William Henry Dodman, I came across this person. William L. Dodman d. 23 May 1900, Howard,
    Twp., Kent County, " RIDGETOWN ", On.

My question for this post is simple, " whom is William L. Dodman? " I have never ran across this person before!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Very Much For Taking Time With This Post!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
    Jeff

According to Ancestry he was born in 1893, buried in Shewburg Cemetery.
    Full name: William Lester Dodman

.. which seems to match with this birth record on Family Search
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Elaine

Comment

Eh Elaine: Again I would like to say " Thank's !!!!!!! " For your help on this post.

Elaine I have found William Lester's grave site. William R.I.P. with his mother Margaret Johnston who died 8 Feb 1893 age 29 yrs. Along with Wm., Margaret & Charles had another son Alvin Johnston b. 15 May 1890. After the death of Margaret, Charles remarried to, Mary Anderson, I have a daughter for them, Glady Alta b. 24 Jul 1902.

Elaine at the grave site there are other markers for ... " Father, Phyllis, E.J., Cora &, Willie. " Is it possible to find out if these other markers are for Charles Henry as " Father " & that the others are more siblings to Wm. Lester? If so I would be interested for any dates if these are siblings to Wm.

Thank You Very Much For All Your Help Elaine!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch And Patch View Post

Elaine at the grave site there are other markers for ... " Father, Phyllis, E.J., Cora &, Willie. " Is it possible to find out if these other markers are for Charles Henry as " Father " & that the others are more siblings to Wm. Lester? If so I would be interested for any dates if these are siblings to Wm.
        Where are you finding this information "at the grave site".

There is an image of the gravestone on the internet and it only mentions Charles, Margaret and son William.

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Where are you finding this information "at the grave site".

There is an image of the gravestone on the internet and it only mentions Charles, Margaret and son William.

http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/1042131
          Eh Elaine: thank you for your reply, yes Elaine this is the grave site & at the bottom of the large head stone are the other names. The other names surround the frontal view. From left to right Elaine the names Willie, William, Phyllis, Cora, E.J. & lastly Father, are at the bottom!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
          Jeff

Comment

Ah right, didn't seen the engraving at the base of the stone.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Ah right, didn't seen the engraving at the base of the stone.
              Eh Elaine; whenever I head off to a cemetery, it is with pen in hand, paper & a camera. I have pictures of this head stone & all around it. I also wrote down the inscriptions on it.

The writing on the head stone goes as fallows... " IN LOVING REMEMBERANCE OF MARGARET BLOVED WIFE OF CHARLES DODMAN DIED FEB 8, 1893 AGED 29 YEARS 6 MONTHS AND 6 DAYS "

" JESUS HAS CALLED THE MOTHER HOME, HER FLESH LIES MOULDERING IN THE TOMB GOD GRANT HER CHILDREN MAY BE BLEST AND MEET HER IN ETERNAL REST "

I THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE WHOLE FAMILY THAT IS BURIED HERE AT THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!! THE CHILDREN THAT DIED AT A YOUNG AGE, THE SAME AS WM. LESTER!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
              Jeff

Comment

The only likely looking 1891 Canada census I can find is this one ..

Charles Dodman b c1866 - born Ontario (father born England, mother born Ontario)
                Margaret Dodman b c1866 - born Ontario (parents born Ireland)
                Alvin J Dodman 11 months

Residence in 1891 - Ridgetown, Elgin West, Ontario.

Year: 1891; Census Place: Ridgetown, Elgin West, Ontario; Roll: T-6334; Family No: 319.
                http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=2133202

There is a birth registration on Family Search for Alvin
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

- which gives father as Charles Dodman and mother as Maggie Johnson.

By 1901 Alvin is shown as nephew in the household of Abraham and Rachel Wightman.
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

The MMN on the William Lister Dodman was WHISSTON
                Is this the same family? Was WHISSTON a mistranscription of JOHNSON ???
                Elaine

Comment

This could be another child ..

Ontario, Canada Births, 1869-1913
                  Wm Kister Dodman
                  Date of Birth: 16 Jul 1892
                  Birth County - Kent
                  Father's Name: Charles Dodman
                  Mother's Name: Margaret Johnston

EDIT to say ...
                  It's not another child - it's the same one who we found earlier recorded as William Lester Dodman!
                  Elaine

Comment

I can't see any other children for this couple, using the records available to me - FamilySearch & Ancestry.
                    Elaine

Comment

William Lester Dodman & Willian Kister Dodman are, I think, the same child - born 16 July 1892.

I too am concerned about the use of the name "Whisston" for mmn - I only have familysearch to go on, where the record is a transcription and therefore a secondary source. I don't see any information about the original source of the transcription.

With regards to son Alvin Dodman's location in 1901, Mrs Rachel Wightman was the sister of Alvin's deceased mother Margaret nee Johnson and therefore Alvin's aunt. I don't know whether she took over the care of Alvin after the death of his mother in 1893 and he remained with her even after his father remarried in 1897, or whether Alvin was just visiting in 1901. Difficult to know because by the 1911 census he was newly married and in his own home with his wife.

I am not sure about the other markers being for children of Charles Henry & Margaret Dodman. They married in Sep 1887, had Alvin in May 1890 & William in Jul 1892, before Margaret died in Feb 1893. I don't think there was time to fit in another Willie, Cora, Phyllis and EJ around the two sons we have birth records for????

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-12-13, 10:57.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I see the births on familysearch are Ontario Vital records. Is this series taken from an index (like the Eng/Wales GRO index) and if so, is it possible to access the original registrations, like buying the Eng/Wales birth certificate?
                        if so, I think the only way of clearing up some of these "mysteries" or anomalies would be to purchase a copy of some of the originals. Alternatively, is it possible to view an image of the original entry?

It would be interesting to view the original details of the 1897 marriage between Charles Henry Dodman & Mary Anderson to see if his marital status was given as widower.

When Alvin & William Lester's parents married, the father was recorded as Charles, rather than Charles Henry.

These surnames are very problematical - when Gladys (second marriage ) was born, her mother was names as Anderson, the name used at the marriage with Charles.
                        However, when Gladys herself married, her mother's maiden name was recorded as Henderson.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-12-13, 11:20.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

With so many anomalies/variations in names, a definite case of "needing to view the original records".
                          Elaine

Comment

Eh Elaine; thank's for trying, I have found a private tree that does show other siblings, bu with " NO OTHER INFORMATION!!!!!!!! " I have other avenues to try myself now.

Yours Truly
                            Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X