Need a new Anti-virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new Anti-virus

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Since I got this computer about two years ago I've used MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) as my anti-virus and firewall. I visit lots of forum and the majority of posters don't rate MSE. I don't like Norton or McAfee having had horrendous problems with them years ago.

I now need to decide on a new antivirus and firewall and would welcome any comments regarding which ones you use and would recommend. I am starting to feel vulnerable using MSE.

I look forward to your comments.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

My son works in IT and he installs MSE on all the computers at the Company he works at. If he and his collegues think it's OK for a big Company then it will do for me!
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 01-12-13, 10:21.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have tried most of the main ones, and MSE wins hands down. I have tested it extensively, and even purposely visited sites that have viruses, and loaded files I know have viruses in them and every single one has been blocked.

The big problem with the main 'free' ones is that they introduce their own 'adware' and install loads of stuff you neither want nor need.

The paid for ones are so bloated they slow the computer down to a point where it can be unuseable. I have just removed Avast! from a friend's computer which was taking 3-4 minutes to load a 4 page Word document!

If you are using MSE and don't have any problems, why change?
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

I use MSE too and its marvellous, just make sure you dont have two anti virus programmes running together.

Comment

Many thanks for your words of advice. I shall stick with MSE. Probably just me getting paranoid about the nasties out there.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Been using MSE for a couple of years now without any problems at all. Have a new computer with W8.1 installed and as soon as the free month passes it will be off Norton and on with MSE.
            Incidentally Norton these days has no effect on the computer speed, only on my pocket when it comes
            time to pay for it.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

David, I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that MSE doesn't work with Windows 8.
              It might well be the same thing but I think you need Windows Defender.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, hadn't known or thought of that aspect will have to check it out. So far I am not very impressed with windows 8 (or 8.1 as installed) anyway.

David

Comment

Is MSE a free anti virus program or is it one you have to buy, I have been using Norton since I got my laptop 2/3 years now and I am looking for a free one?

Edna

Comment

Its free Edna. Be sure to have Norton removed from your computer (think there is a special download to remove) before you install Miscrosoft Security Essentials.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Norton Remove and Reinstall tool helps to uninstall and reinstall most Norton products such as Norton Security, Norton 360, and Norton Internet Security on Windows computers.

here is the uninstaller

and a link to microsoft essentials
                      Microsoft Security Essentials reached end of service on January 14, 2020 and is no longer available as a download.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-13, 22:48.

Comment

Thanks for both will sort it when I have a bit of time

Edna

Comment

Thanks for the lead in Val, will be using it in the next few days as the installed norton expires in about 5 days time.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X