scotland help please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotland help please....

ok, i'm chasing a stephen morton, andy help is much appreciated.

what i have is the birth of richard morton on 27 jun 1863 at ayr, scotland. son of stephen morton a coal miner and helen campbell, married 1862 glasgow. informant is helen, mother. there is no trace of this marriage.

next is the 1871 census: 28 mcpherson st, blackfriars or college, lanarkshire.

stephen morton- boarder. 31, b.1840 england. coal miner. married.
    sarah morton- boarder. 27, b.1844, glasgow. mill worker. married.
    ellen morton- boarder. 7, b.1864, glasgow. mill worker.

death-13 oct 1877 govan workhouse.
    stephen morton, pauper. formerly married to sarah mulholland. former residence 22 crown st glasgow. age 45, b.1832. son of richard morton, deceased labourer and mary nee pame. informant-w. baillie governor's assistant.

there is also this birth which i think is connected:
    27 jun 1865 lying in hospital, glasgow.
    stephen illegitimate son of sarah morton, mill worker of 101 bridgegate glasgow.

i have not been able to trace stephen morton before 1863- though i suspect he is mine, my stephen vanishes after the 1851 english census. he does not seem to have married at all, rather shacked up with helen campbell and sarah mulholland.....i cannot trace helen or her son. there is no trace of ellen's birth. her mother sarah registered ellen's death on 11 oct 1883 in anderton glasgow. this is how i know sarah's maiden name.

likewise i have nothing on the stephen morton b.1865 illegitimately.

if anyone can help out in any way, it would be much appreciated, because i have a headache!
    Last edited by kylejustin; 30-11-13, 09:43.

Do you have the death of Sarah - Morton or Mulholland?
    If not I wonder if it could be the following - (note I have direct line Scottish Mortons, who came from England in the 1850's so am quite interested).

Sarah McLACHLAN, married 1st to Stephen MORTON, coal miner, 2nd to
    Robert McLACHLAN, iron foundry Labourer.
    Died - 13 Dec 1885 at 35 Bishop St., Glasgow.
    Parents - James MULHOLLAND, ships caulker and Catherine, maiden surname DOHERTY, dec.
    Cause of death - Heart disease, 3 months, informant husband who signed with a X.
    Apologies if you have this already, but just in case.....
    Good luck .....will keep looking for more later
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you have the 1881 census - Sarah and Helen are together in Bishop St.
      Sarah Morton 34, shirt finisher
      Helen Morton 14, book folder

This is weird - I already have the marriage cert of Sarah to Robert in my files (I have Stephen and Sarah Mortons as close kin so I must have been looking for connections previously).

Marriage was on 24 May 1881 ( census was in April that year so I don't know why she had herself as a Morton, will check FMP to see if any other info) at Bishop St, I can PM you with the cert if you like, let me know.

Sarah and Robert were both listed as widows.

Edit - bit confused here -with the census - ages and occupations are a bit out but address matched the marriage cert
      Last edited by herky; 30-11-13, 14:16.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

By the way - sorry, I seem to be getting side tracked and not looking for what you asked for.
        herky

Comment

hi herky,

thank you for this. most of this is on an ancestry tree, which popped up as a hint. naturally it has me intrigued. my stephen morton was b.1837 soho, london. he is at home with parents richard william morton, a coach trimmer, and mary nee wyatt in 1841 in st anne soho, and in newington in 1851. after that he vanishes.

then this stephen morton b.1835-40 in england pops up in 1863 with a son richard. then in 1871 with 'wife' sarah and dau ellen. then dies 1877, parents richard a labourer and mary. the funny thing on the death cert is richard is dead. my richard d.1856 at newington. but mother mary is not listed as deceased....my mary d.1881 southwark. throw in an illegitimate son stephen b.glasgow.

there is no conclusive proof he is my stephen b.1837 soho. but there is a lot of coincedental information here. thank you for the 1881 census, i had not seen that.

Comment

Working...
          X