Search for "NELL" BUCKLER alive in 1933. South of England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for "NELL" BUCKLER alive in 1933. South of England

I am looking for a lead please, to find Nell Buckler, who is missing from my detailed family trees, yet is clearly shown as a witness to my parents wedding in North London in 1933 ( I have the certificate). No living member of my Buckler family recalls this name.

The marriage certificate is entirely filled in in the handwriting of the priest. I guess a look at the actual register may help to confirm the name but I would not think the bride & groom would take an erroneous certificate with them. Anyway, I am too far from London to find and view the actual signature on the register, assuming it survived. I also have a feeling that the witness does not have to give an address, which seems rather pointless but maybe someone knows otherwise.

By the way, I still have my Buckler website running as a point of contact but have changed the name to:
    http://bucklerfamilyhistory.moonfruit.com/ Always happy to help when I can.

Where did your parents marry?
    Have you checked London ERs on Ancestry - I can see a couple of entries for a Nellie Buckler in Tower Hamlets 1934/1935 (although when you look at the image it looks like Backler!)
    Without knowing the family names it's very difficult to try and find out anything by research.

Is the MC an original or a copy from the GRO. If it's not an original, have you tried obtaining a photocopy of the original from the local RO?
    Elaine

Comment

Nell" could have had Helen, Ellen, Eleanor as either a first or second forename - e.g. Eleanor Jane, Mary Ellen. Nellie was also a name in its own right.
      Unfortunately for you, "Nellie" was also one of those names just used as a general nickname, with no real connection with the original birth forename.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

On the contrary, I think that many couples WOULD accept a marriage cert with mistakes. Probably they didn't spot the mistake till later, but even if they did, most were too much in awe of, or too polite, to correct a priest.

It sounds as if you do have the original cert, although I would expect the witnesses sigs to be in different handwriting in that case. Is there a date on it - not the date of the marriage, but the date the cert was written?

OC

Comment

OC from my recollection of being a witness at marriages we signed the two registers but the vicar copied out all the details, including signatures, onto the certificate (certificated copy of an entry in the register) which was given to the married couple.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith

Yes, you are right of course, wits only sign the register!

OC

Comment

Witnesses didn't have to give an address ( and still don't) they just have to be old enough to understand what is going on, and be able to testify about what they have seen and heard should it be necessary ..... if you could track them down !
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

A really wild thought - could it be Neil?

OC

Comment

I thank everyone for the very useful posts but I apologise that I have not been able to reply fully. I will try and reply in a few hours. I can say my parents were married in Hornsey ( Buckler to Young) and that most of their family lived in Hornsey or not very far from.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Where did your parents marry?
                    Have you checked London ERs on Ancestry - I can see a couple of entries for a Nellie Buckler in Tower Hamlets 1934/1935 (although when you look at the image it looks like Backler!)
                    Without knowing the family names it's very difficult to try and find out anything by research.

Is the MC an original or a copy from the GRO. If it's not an original, have you tried obtaining a photocopy of the original from the local RO?

The MC I have is a photo of a microfiche and amalgamated into a certified document. It is not a copy of the actual Register which has to be signed. To see that would require a trip of several hundred miles to London, and then I fear it would be a disappointment.

Although a "member" of Ancestry, they will not even let me see Tower Hamlets, without signing up to something and giving my bank details.

Re Janet in Yorkshire. I appreciate that Nell is not a very sound name but it is all I have.

Re Old Crone Holden. I guess Neil could be a possible, thanks.But not ringing a bell at the moment.
                    Once again thanks for all input in the last few hours

Comment

Working...
                    X