Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Dodman 1821 & Mary A Orbine Decaw 1822 ( est )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Dodman 1821 & Mary A Orbine Decaw 1822 ( est )

This William Dodman b. 1821 Snettisham, Norfolk, Eng., was the son of Nicholas Dodman 1783 & Mary Pilgrim.

I am hoping for " CONFERMATION THAT THIS IS MY WILLIAM & MARY I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING SO HARD FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

The information that I have is William was married to Mary A Orbine Decaw b. 1822 ( est ), Brixton, London, Eng.
    Their children were...
    1. William Henry b. 1841 Oxford Twp., Kent, Eng.
    2. Ann Maria b. 1843 Finsbury, St. Luke, Eng.
    3. Elizabeth b. 1847 Oxford County, Blenheim District, On., Canada.
    4. Thomas b. 1849 On., Canada.
    5. John ( James ) b. 1856 Thamesville, On.
    6. Edward b. 1858 Thamesville, On.
    7. Martha Jane b. 1860 Thamesville, On.
    8. Henry b. 1861 Thamesville, On.
    9. Richard b. 1861 Thamesville, On.
    10. Robert b. 1866 Thamesville, On.

I am asking for confirmation that this is my William & Mary & that their 1st, 2, born William Henry & Ann Maria were born in Eng.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Very Much For Taking Time With This Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
    Jeff ;) :D

There are two baptism entries in the LMA collection on Ancestry:

Ann Maria Dodman (born 25 Dec 1843)
    Baptism Date - 10 Apr 1844
    Father - William Dodman (occupation tobacco manufacturing)
    Mother - Maria Dodman
    Finsbury St Luke, Islington.

Janet Dodman (born 1st Feb 1842)
    Baptism Date: 27 Apr 1842
    Mother - Maria Dodman
    Finsbury St Luke, Islington

Where did you find the information relating to the marriage of William and Maria - and when/where did they marry?
    Do you have a birth certificate of one of their children, which would give the mother's maiden name?
    Elaine

Comment

It appears that Janet died in 1844

Death registration
      1844 (1st quarter)
      District: St Luke, vol 2, page 242

source freeBMD
      Elaine

Comment

1. William Henry b. 1841 Oxford Twp., Kent, Eng.
        What is the source of this?
        Place names are confusing - Oxford is not in/near Kent - and I have not heard of a place called Oxford that is in the county of Kent.
        Elaine

Comment

I would be leaning towards a marriage in 1837 of a William Dodman to a Maria Brookes.
          Date of marriage 3 August 1837 - St Mary Lambeth.

The marriage certificate (available on Ancestry) shows William's occupation as Tobacconist which ties in with the occupation shown on the baptism entries for two of the children.

However - this doesn't tie up with the info you have given. Perhaps you can tell us which facts you are certain of and which ones are still to be proven!
          Elaine

Comment

Ann Maria (above) & her mother Maria can both be found in London in 1851 census. Ann was staying with relatives, mother was in the family home.
            This is not the family of the William Dodman born Snettisham.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-11-13, 19:28.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

... although on second thoughts this could be a totally different family as I have just found some other baptisms with parents' names shown as William Dodman and Maria Dodman.

Joseph William Dodman 18 Jan 1839 - Clerkenwell St James Islington
              Charles Dodman - 31 Jul 1840 -Lambeth St Mary Lambeth
              Janet Dodman - 27 Apr 1842 - Finsbury St Luke Islington
              Ann Maria Dodman - 10 Apr 1844 -Finsbury St Luke Islington
              Alice Dodman -1 Apr 1846 - Finsbury St Luke Islington
              Jane Dodman -6 Oct 1848 - Finsbury St Luke Islington

(It appears Janet died 1844 1st qtr and Alice died 1848 (1st qtr)

When did your family travel Canada?
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Ann Maria (above) & her mother Maria can both be found in London in 1851 census. Ann was staying with relatives, mother was in the family home.
                This is not the family of the William Dodman born Snettisham.

Jay
                I'm sure you are right Janet.
                I was trying to work from child no.2 on the list - Ann Maria Dodman b 1843 Finsbury.
                She certainly doesn't seem to lead to any Norfolk connection, or at least at the moment - and doesn't seem to be part of a family which moved to Canada.
                Elaine

Comment

A search of the GRO England/Wales marriage index 1837 to 1855 has NO results for either a Mary A Orbine or Mary A Decaw.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Start again - as I don't think any of the above is relevant!!

There is a tree on Ancestry which shows that William Dodman married Mary Decaw in 1841 in Ontario, and that all the children were born in Canada.

It also shows that William was born c1821 in Snettisham, Norfolk - might be worth contacting the tree owner for the source of this information.
                    Elaine

Comment

The tree Elaine has referred you to seems to be sound - it has the correct dates and parentage for William's father & paternal grandparents. Some of the other Dodman trees on Ancestry, however, have incorrect information :( and you should check out the dates and relationships for yourself before accepting them as accurate.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Baptism St Mary Snettisham - William Dodman 7/1/1821 parents Nicholas Dodman - labourer and Mary Pilgrim

I don't know where the author of that tree found the marriage for Nicholas and Mary. I cannot find anything on Family Search, Norfolk Transcription Archive or FMP.

Baptism St Mary Snettisham - John Dodman 4/9/1825 parents Nicholas Dodman - labourer and Mary (no Pilgrim)
                        Also:
                        6/1/1828 Ann
                        17/10/1830 Elizabeth
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-11-13, 20:54.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          A search of the GRO England/Wales marriage index 1837 to 1855 has NO results for either a Mary A Orbine or Mary A Decaw.

Jay
                          The tree on Ancestry gives Marriage of Mary Decaw :

12 Feb
                          Brantford, Ont

???????
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-11-13, 21:01.
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....isham.htm#1820

Baptism St Mary Snettisham - William Dodman 7/1/1821 parents Nicholas Dodman - labourer and Mary Pilgrim

I don't know where the author of that tree found the marriage for Nicholas and Mary. I cannot find anything on Family Search, Norfolk Transcription Archive or FMP.

Also:
                            6/1/1828 Ann
                            17/10/1830 Elizabeth
                            The marriage is on FreeReg. The image can be viewed by browsing the Norfolk PR records on familysearch.

I think I gave the OP the links to both sources last week on one of his other threads.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-11-13, 21:17.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The 1851 Canada census image records that of the children listed in post 1(William H through to John) ALL were born in Canada.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

In 1871 census (Canada) William gave his origins as English, whilst Mary's were French.
                                I think this suggests the couple met and married in Canada.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thank You Very Much For All Your Help & Hard Work!!!!!!!!!! The information on William Dodman was a lead I took from Mundia.com. This search engine has mistakes, people are not perfect, I thought since I am having so " MUCH TROUBLE WITH THIS ANCESTOR I THOUUGHT I WOULD GIVE THIS A TRY!!!!!!!!! "This information you have posted is not who I am researching, thank's anyways!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine & Jay; this William Dodman " 1821 Snettisham ", Norfolk Eng., son of Nicholas 1783 - 1832 & Mary Pilgrim 1783 - d. ? Is a " BRICK WALL DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!! " Yes he was married Brantford, Brant County, On., Canada in 1841. But the problem is " WHOM DID HE GET MARRIED TOO? Doing my research, Brant County O.G.S. says Mary Degan, in 1851 census states she was born 1819, an 1852 census shows she was born 1824, on her death record in 26 Apr 1874 shows she was b. 1822, on a record I have shows she was 28 yrs. old b. 1823, Cranbro, Oxford County, Blenheim District, On. in an 1861 census at age 35 she was born 1826. For a marriage event of her son Robert in Brantford, On., her last name is Mary Ann Degraw, for a marriage event of a daughter, her name is Mary Ann Hoy!!!!!!!!!!!!! See why " THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, LOL... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Yours Truly
                                  Jeff

Comment

Records are only as accurate as the information given/required at that time.
                                    Incorrect/guesstimation of age was NOT uncommon - no birth certificate and unless you were born in the same year as a famous event, you had nothing to peg your age to. Pre the introduction of civil registration we only have bp date to rely on and go by. (Most people WERE bp as babies, but not all.)

With regard to names, unless you could read and write, then you would have no idea whether or not the name had been recorded correctly. The recorder often had to record what s/he thought was being said - take into account strange accents, unfamiliar "immigrant names", speech defects etc.
                                    Sometimes the response depends upon the exact phrasing of the question - "where did you come from?" and "where were you born?" could produce two very different answers.

If you are interested in accuracy, then may I point out again that the year of birth you keep quoting for Nicholas Dodman is probably incorrect? As I explained on one of your previous Dodman threads, Nicholas was baptised at Fring on 12 May 1793 and I gave you two sources to look at - FreeREG and familysearch.org. Both are free to consult. I also pointed out that when Nicholas was buried at Snettisham in 1832, his age was given as 39 years, which tallies with the 1793 year of birth theory.
                                    You can check this on FreeREG - I can confirm that this is the age at death for Nicholas given in the Snettisham burial register, which is not available through familysearch, but which I viewed at the Norfolk record office over two decades ago.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-11-13, 22:00.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

William Dodman & Mary A Orbine Decaw

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      There are two baptism entries in the LMA collection on Ancestry:

Ann Maria Dodman (born 25 Dec 1843)
                                      Baptism Date - 10 Apr 1844
                                      Mother - Maria Dodman
                                      Finsbury St Luke, Islington.

Janet Dodman (born 1st Feb 1842)
                                      Baptism Date: 27 Apr 1842
                                      Mother - Maria Dodman
                                      Finsbury St Luke, Islington

Where did you find the information relating to the marriage of William and Maria - and when/where did they marry?
                                      Do you have a birth certificate of one of their children, which would give the mother's maiden name?
                                      Eh Elaine: On a search engine called " Mundia.com ", I got this information. You must register for free to use this engine & it is affiliated with Ancestry. I use this engine a lot & I also know " THAT SOME INFORMATION IS WRONG!!!!!!! " But... most of the time the information is correct. I am on this engine with my family tree & unless I know I am " absolutely Correct!!!!!!!!!!! " I " DO NOT ENTER INFORMATION!!! "

Yours Truly
                                      Jeff ;)

Comment

Eh Jay: yes I understand what you are saying. Mary as I have found out, was French Ethnic, Illiterate, & her religion was W. Methodist, in 1861-71. I do not think anyone will ever solve this problem!!!!!

There is just too much confusion going on here. Even records of her marriage in Brant County, Brantford, On., in 1841 to William. Does not give any clues, on her maiden name or parents. I think I am just going to accept defeat on this " ONE!!!! " Even as defeat is against my nature!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
                                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                        X