Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why register a Birth with surname only ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why register a Birth with surname only ?

I am looking for a birth of a Marian/Mary Ann Greaves born abt 1863 Camberwell
    Have found a Birth on FMP of a Female Greaves Mar 1864 Camberwell 1D 569 so would you say this is quite likely her ? and why bother to register without a first name as surely there is plenty of time to choose a name first? and also when a name is finally chosen do you have to re register?
    Thanks

I've come across loads of just female or male births Val. I always assume that they were running out of time to register and hadn't decided on the name yet. I don't think they re-registered when named as I have never found one. Not unless the mother married the father afterwards anyway.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My Great Grandmother was registered in Dublin as Female Cope! Perhaps they couldn't decide on a name. They were married at the time too.
      Last edited by WendyPusey; 27-11-13, 19:53.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Chrissie and Wendy seeing as you get ? is it 6 weeks before you have to register wonder why they couldn't decide on a name ?
        I am claiming this one anyway;)

Comment

I have a few as Female/Male Surname, but they are all children who died soon after birth.
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

I can understand that Pete that makes sense in a way, sad though to not have a name.

Comment

Is this one any good to you Val, or have you eliminated it.

Births Jun 1863
              GREAVES Mary Ann
              Camberwell 1d 503
              Elaine

Comment

ooh Elaine your a marvel I didn't see that one ? in fact I cannot see the one I found on FMP on Ancestry too, yours is probably the right one thanks again.

Comment

Anmother reason for not naming a child was sometimes because the child had not yet been baptised. There was a superstitious belief that it was unlucky or ungodly to name the child civilly before you had told God what you were going to call the child.
                  This seemed particularly prevalent amongst Catholics.

There is, or was, a column on the BC which allows for a name to be registered or changed to reflect a baptismal name. I think this had to be done in the first 12 months after birth.

OC

Comment

thanks for that info OC I've not found a bap for her yet

Comment

Working...
                    X