Next of Kin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next of Kin question

My partners father died in 1984 he served in the Army and we would like to apply for his service records, their mother has recently passed away.

Who then is the fathers next of Kin since their mother died? Would it be the eldest child as my gut instinct suspects?

Yes, eldest child. You MAY have to prove the wife has died.

OC

Comment

any child should be able to access the record. i'd send in copies of both death certs with the application.

Comment

I got my uncles no problems

Comment

I got my father's without having to show my mother was deceased nor that I was the eldest child - I wasn't as it happens.

Margaret

Comment

My recollection is that it's only the person or wife who gets it for free. NoK have to pay the £30 (or whatever the current rate is).

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This may explain it all

Edna

Comment

Thank you. Sorry for late reply. Just looking at the link now.

This family tree stuff is amazing.

Comment

The link Edna has given is for US military records.

If you want UK service records (post WW1) then the website you need is http://www.veterans-uk.info/recordsmedalsbadges.htm
                  Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine I did look at the link but didn't realise it wasn't UK but you have put it right thank you.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      My recollection is that it's only the person or wife who gets it for free. NoK have to pay the £30 (or whatever the current rate is).

Christine
                      I paid £30 and I think that's the current charge.
                      Margaret

Comment

Thank you all. Its been so lovely knowing i have a forum i can turn to. Every day i check the post to see if a certificate has arrived. My partner has never met or known the names of his grandparents from either side so researching his family tree is warming his heart a little since his mum passed away and giving him some comfort.

Comment

Working...
                        X