Royal Free Hospital possibly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Free Hospital possibly

I have a relative who we believed worked as a porter in a London Hospital. We know that he was married in or around Hampstead . and i am told he used to walk to work while his wife was at home with a baby . The questions i have is from the 1968 to the early 70's which hospitals would have been within walking distance of Hampstead.?

Google seems to come up with the Royal Free , is there an archive where employees might be listed to confirm my relative worked there.?

Along shot i know but its worth asking .

There are details of hospital records at various archives on the Hospital Records Database

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

You can search for particular hospitals and it tells you what records are held, for what periods and where they are. Details of the Royal Free are here and they seem to have staff records from 1904 to 1976. I don't know whether you can access the later ones but its worth enquiring

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

If you click on the 'info' sign it tells you that the Royal Free Archive Centre closed in September and the records are being transferred to the London Metropolitan Archives and will be available there from early 2014
    Jackie

Comment

The Royal Free Hospital used to be in Gray's Inn Road - I know as I had a foot operation there in 1974, and my flatmate was medical secretary there. We lived in Belsize Park and from my bedroom window I could see the new Royal Free Hospital being built. It opened shortly after I had my operation.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The Whittington Hospital is also nearby. It's on Highgate Hill.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Off topic really, but a sense of deja-vu here - we discussed this topic at great length on another famous thread some years ago!

I am sure I was treated at a hospital called, New something, in Hampstead, around 1966.

OC

Comment

There was also New End Hospital, New End, NW3 and Hampstead General, Haverstock Hill, NW3

Vera

Comment

That's it, Vera! New End! Thanks.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X