Minnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnie

Is Minnie a shortened form of another name please as I cannot seem to find her we always knew her as A.Minnie I can find her death registered as Minnie Amelia but cannot find her birth records.

Any input I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 26-11-13, 07:28.
    GWEN

From the Wikipedia

As a first name, Minnie is a diminutive of Minerva, Wilhelmina, Hermione, Mary, or Amelia
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 26-11-13, 07:37.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Possibly Wilhelmina

Can you give the death details to see if we can help find a birth registration?
      Elaine

Comment

my mums sister was Gladys - called Minnie by her 7 sisters ??...and everyone else ...?? ,,haven`t a clue why

ADDED...I know why now - just checked my tree
        Gladys MINNIE Anson born 4th january 1921...so she was officially named Minnie !!....
        Last edited by garstonite; 26-11-13, 07:51.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Minnie A E Cox, died Oct 1990, Northampton, dob is shown as 4 Oct 1908; she married my Uncle in 1937 Ernest Richard Cox in Shoreditch, I'm assuming she came from London also as all my Cox family lived in Shoreditch and then Bethnal Green. On their marriage record she is shown as Minnie A.E Southgate. I will be sending for the M/C today.

Thanks for the information with regard to the name
          Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 26-11-13, 07:51.
          GWEN

Comment

I thought it would be easy to find her on the 1911 census but obviously not
            GWEN

Comment

Married before?

Minnie Elizabeth A Bryant - Bristol Sept 1908

Minnie A Bryant to Christopher N Southgate -Billericay Sept 1932

OC

Comment

can also be a nickname for marian as well.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying I thought I had better get off the computer (as I had been on it since early this morning) and do some housework. So now the housework is done I can get back to what I like doing the best. Thank you OC for finding that information! Next on my list was to look to see if she had married before but you beat me to it thank you so much I will no see if I can find her on the 1911 census return thanks again very much appreciated.
                  GWEN

Comment

My Rebecca Miriam called herself Minnie :(

Comment

My nan was named Minnie on her birth certificate as well as baptism.

However it was still probably short for Wilhelmina as that was her mother's name.
                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Gwen, my great aunt was registered as Minnie and my g grandmother was Minna. I also knew a woman who was Christened Minnie.....Hope this helps.
                        Jacky

Comment

There is a Minnie Amelia E Dowsett birth Oct-Dec 1908 Poplar ref 1c 480. Could that be a possible?
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

Oooh, that looks good! I can't see a route from Dowsett to Southgate though at a glance.

OC

Comment

One Minnie in our family was baptised Jemima Jane. But another was registered as Minnie.

We used to call our daughter Minnie, short for Minnie Mouse, because she was so small !! No other connection to her given name Amanda Rose, and even got shortened to Min,

Depends on your family, I guess
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I will have to wait for the M/C to arrive to solve the mystery, thanks Chrissie that link looks good I spent most of the afternoon looking for alternatives but gave up and will wait for the M/C to arrive. Thank you everyone for your input much appreciated will keep you posted.
                                GWEN

Comment

Despatch date is 3rd Dec for M/C cant wait
                                  GWEN

Comment

I can't wait either Gwen That birth did look promising but I can't find her in 1911 and I couldn't find a link from Dowsett to Southgate either OC. I did wonder if there was something like her mother getting married and her taking on father's name.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I tried that, Chrissie - mother remarrying but I couldn't find ANY Dowsett/Southgate marriage.

(And why does the name Dowsett ring bells with me???)

OC

Comment

RG14PN1708 RG78PN59 RD22 SD2 ED31 SN216

Minnie Dowsett born 1909 living in 53 Sherwood Street Poplar

Comment

Working...
                                        X