A little confused. George is a hide n seek champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little confused. George is a hide n seek champion

Im a little stumped, have signed up to ancestry to help me with my family tree search however hubbys grandfather is the cause of a headache or two.

I know George Marshall Married Edith Swinn (was Wise) in 1913 in the district of Driffied (awaiting marriage certificate through post)
    I know that is 16th July 1919 their son Richard Henry Marshall was born and they were living in Gransmoor, Yorkshire. (have birth certificate of Richard Henry)

According to hubbys Aunty Carol. Both Edith and George resided and died in Nafferton.

According to Carol George died in Nafferton many years before Ediths death in 1973. No one is sure of where he was buried/cremated as Edith did not attend the funeral as she was housebound.

The only death i can find of a George Marshall that seems to fit died in 1973 who was born 3rd June 1882 (we do not have the birth as fact yet)

I am unsure where to go now so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advanced

The marriage certificate is going to give you the all important information to work back (hopefully!).
    It will show the name and occupation of George's father which should then help you to find him in the 1891 / 1901 / 1911 census. Once you have a better idea of his year and place of birth, it makes searching for the death a little easier!
    Elaine

Comment

"According to Carol George died in Nafferton many years before Ediths death in 1973."

Is this the death, registered in Q1 1973 in the Scarborough Dist? If so, I don't think that Edith Marshall died at Nafferton, as Nafferton was in the Driffield, and then later the Buckrose, Reg District, not Scarborough.
      At that time residents of Nafferton who were poorly went into the hospital at nearby Driffield, or to Hull; not Scarborough.
      Of course, people don't always die at home; she could have been visiting someone, or gone to live with a child in the Scarborough area. If George had died first and had been buried in Nafferton churchyard, then it's quite possible that Edith's remains were taken to Nafferton to be laid to rest with her late husband.

The EYFHS have produced a booklet of memorial inscriptions for Nafferton & Wansford - see their website.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        "According to Carol George died in Nafferton many years before Ediths death in 1973."

Is this the death, registered in Q1 1973 in the Scarborough Dist? If so, I don't think that Edith Marshall died at Nafferton, as Nafferton was in the Driffield, and then later the Buckrose, Reg District, not Scarborough.
        At that time residents of Nafferton who were poorly went into the hospital at nearby Driffield, or to Hull; not Scarborough.
        Of course, people don't always die at home; she could have been visiting someone, or gone to live with a child in the Scarborough area. If George had died first and had been buried in Nafferton churchyard, then it's quite possible that Edith's remains were taken to Nafferton to be laid to rest with her late husband.

The EYFHS have produced a booklet of memorial inscriptions for Nafferton & Wansford - see their website.

Jay
        it might be me Jay, but the way I read it is that George died in 1973, she died many years after him... there is this in the index, [which would fit]

Name: Edith S Marshall
        Birth Date: abt 1882
        Date of Registration: Dec 1962
        Age at Death: 80
        Registration District: Buckrose
        Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
        Volume: 2a
        Page: 46

?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

looks also like Edith was married before, too:

Name: Edith Wise
          Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1905
          Registration District: Driffield
          Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
          Volume Number: 9d
          Page Number: 657

Thomas Henry Swinn
          Julie

Comment

Julie, isn't 1962 BEFORE 1973????

I an hoping that Kim will come back and give us a bit more information about this couple.

ETA - George H Marshall died Buckrose 1944 age 62 yrs ????

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-11-13, 14:53.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Marshall View Post

The only death i can find of a George Marshall that seems to fit died in 1973 who was born 3rd June 1882 (we do not have the birth as fact yet)

I am unsure where to go now so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advanced
              To clarify - it is George who it is said who died in 1973 and Edith many years later.

If we had the occupation for George on the BC that is held for the son that might help find George in 1911 and get his age etc.

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-11-13, 16:52.

Comment

Here's the 1911 census for Edith Swinn - she is a widow with 2 children with her and another 2 said to have been born and still alive but where? http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

An ancestry hint for a death record for Edith Marshall coming up against the 1911 census record shows a death date of 1973 so maybe not quite as stated in the opening post.

Margaret

Comment

If Edith died in 1973 ish and George died a lot earlier then there is a George H Marshall Sept 1962 Buckrose 2a 19
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There are several trees on ancestry that have the 1974 death linked to Edith so that looks as if it's her.

Here she is in 1901 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=28899593 and also in the household is Hilda P Wise who is showing on another tree as the daughter of Edith.

Margaret

Comment

Julie, isn't 1962 BEFORE 1973????

I an hoping that Kim will come back and give us a bit more information about this couple.

ETA - George H Marshall died Buckrose 1944 age 62 yrs ????

Jay
                      oh yea!... *really* must wear me glasses!!!! :emb:
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        If Edith died in 1973 ish and George died a lot earlier then there is a George H Marshall Sept 1962 Buckrose 2a 19
                        Yes, that could be him but I think we need to have the information from the marriage cert to find out more about George.

Margaret

Comment

from looking at Edith in the census, it is looking like she may have died whilst at one of her childrens houses, if she was reg'd in Scarborough. [that'd fit with Hilda if she lived and stayed in the area]

I don't suppose that there is much more that we can do until Kim comes back with some info..
                          Julie

Comment

The George H Marshall who died in 1962 was aged 58 yrs - so born in 1904 . This cannot be Kim's George, who married Edith in 1913.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The George H Marshall who died in 1962 was aged 58 yrs - so born in 1904 . This cannot be Kim's George, who married Edith in 1913.

Jay
                              Good point!
                              Margaret

Comment

So, Edith was the daughter of Elizabeth Wise, who married John Scaife in 1885.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So, Edith was the daughter of Elizabeth Wise, who married John Scaife in 1885.

Jay
                                  Yes, I think so from what we can see on the census. Although Elizabeth would not have been Wise and according to the trees on ancestry she was Elizabeth Hebden marriaed to Brian Wise.

Margaret

Comment

I haven-t looked at the Ancestry trees, but according to the GRO index, John Scaife mar Elizabeth Wise 1885 Bridlington Dist,
                                    (This fits with The Scaifes having been married 25 yrs in 1911 census.)

Note Elizabeth Scaife was born at Skipsea.
                                    This looks a good possibility for 1881 -

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay
                                      I think I need me glasses on too. I think it must be the George H Marshall (age 62) Jun 1944 Buckrose 9d 68 one then as she says he died a long time before Edith
                                      Kat

Comment

If Hilda was in Scarborough then this could be Edith's death . She could still have been buried in Nafferton.
                                        Name: Edith Marshall
                                        Birth Date: 12 Sep 1881
                                        Date of Registration: Mar 1973
                                        Age at Death: 91
                                        Registration District: Scarborough
                                        Inferred County: Yorkshire North Riding
                                        Volume: 1b
                                        Page: 2880
                                        Kat

Comment

Working...