1841 census, occupation C L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 census, occupation C L

Twice while transcribing 1841 census for Cuckfield, district 3 I've found C L as an occupation, any ideas please?

It's not Cl as in Clerk, the capitals are separated.
    HO107; Piece: 1111; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Cuckfield; County: Sussex; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 44

(William Edwards at Butler's Green)

What do the other abbreviations represent?
    My ancestors were country folk - lots of ag labs, MS FS etc but I'm pretty ignorant on the abbreviations for other occupations. Sorry.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I just tried to find them in 1851 to see if it said the same thing but couldn't find them sorry

Comment

I wonder if it IS clerk?
        This enumerator seems to use capital letters quite randomly, eg. see George HAMMOND towards the bottom of page 5.

Gwyn

Comment

Thankyou for your ideas, I'll be transcribing as it stands, C L, and adding "possibly clerk" in the notes field.

The enumerator started with the usual "Ag Lab" then appears to use his own system where L B means Labourer (another clerk adds "Ag" later) and the Rd L B I think refers to Railroad Labourer as the London-Brighton railway line was being built in 1841 (which also accounts for several miners some of whom have Welsh sounding names who would have been making the tunnels).

Comment

C L = Canal labourer, i.e. a navvy. (As some of the others are railway labourers)

OC

Comment

Well done, OC

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No, just realised Rd Lab will be ROAD labourer, not rail labourer, but I still think C L is canal labourer. I believe the term was used for general construction labourers at that time, later known as navvies.

OC

Comment

Interesting thought about canal labourer, though I still think that Rd L B refers to railroad labourer. North of Cuckfield in Balcombe where there are cuttings, a tunnel and the viaduct the navvies are referred to as "excavators" and in another district of Cuckfield as R Labourer. I am, of course, transcribing exactly what is written and not my own opinion.

Comment

Would they have called it the railroad though, rather than the railway?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                      I am, of course, transcribing exactly what is written and not my own opinion..
                      Which is the correct way for all transcription.

Whether you add a comment in the notes as to a possible interpretation is a decision for whoever is managing the transcription project. In all the transcription projects I have worked on, it would be a definite no.
                      Last edited by AntonyM; 24-11-13, 09:21.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for the guidance Antony, I've removed any interpretation from the notes field leaving only notes such as "first name left blank".

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Would they have called it the railroad though, rather than the railway?

OC
                          I've come across both terms in contemporary newspaper articles.

Comment

In the Sussex Family History Group database, a William and Martha have children in 1841 and1843 .In both cases the father is listed as Labourer.

Jan

Comment

Thankyou Jan.

Comment

Working...
                              X