Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Smith death help ..... Probably impossible

Hi I wanted to try one last time to try and find John's death

I know now he was born on 17th October 1893. I found his baptism record on ancestry and baptism date was 19th November 1893 and on that it mentioned his date of birth. The area was Limehouse in Middlesex.

His full name was John Solomon Smith.

I have looked for his death and found 2 possibilities but wondered if anyone else was able to look and see if they look ok

1. John Smith birth 1893 registration Dec 1962 age at death 69 Romford Essex volume 5a page 454

2. John S a Smith birth 1894 registration June 1965 age at death 71 Stepney London volume 5e page 138

I know he lived in the mile end area for many years until I lose track in 1939.

I can't find a marriage so in think he didn't marry. I just don't like the idea of no one bothering about his death.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steven

have you seen this marriage ? John S Smith to a Mary A Dulwich in Mile End Jun 1922 1C 622

Comment

I would say the 1965 death is your best bet - the age at death is spot on, the middle initial matches and Stepney is the right registration district for Mile End at that time.

You could try contacting Tower Hamlets Register Office - they have a phone-ordering service and maybe they will be able to confirm the middle name for you before you order the cert. Their website has the contact details:

cheers,
      Richard

Comment

Hi val as much as I would want him to have got married I don't think it is as he in on the London ER's just with his mum and dad right up to 1939 at 135 canal road, mile end. Never a wife ever mentioned on them. But thanks as always for looking.

Hi Richard I will call them today IF they can confirm middle name as Solomon then it's him

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Richard you are a star. Emailed Stepney register office and they emailed back with the good news that John S Smith's middle name is Solomon!!!!! Great call.

Can't believe I found a John Smith. Don't want to get my hoped up like I did recently so will wait until I receive the certificate.

Might give me a clue to a potential marriage or if Mary Ann her mother was on the scene (although highly unlikely)

Steven

Comment

great news Steven

Comment

Great, I'm glad you found him! Just a thought - but you could also do the same thing with that marriage Val found - i.e. email Tower Hamlets reg office and ask them to confirm if the middle name is Solomon!

Cheers,
              Richard

Comment

Excellent progress!

Amanda

Comment

Wow! that IS great news Steve.... what a great call there Richard!...
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Here is John's death cert

It looks like it must be him. There can't be to many John Solomon Smith's and the age and area he stayed all make sense. The exciting part is he has a son who was the informant!!!!

Here is John's baptism

I hope that proves the death is him

Then I have the ER's

John was with his parents in 1939 at Canal Road

But when I find him in 1948 he with some other Smith's including a John W Smith - the same name as his son on the death cert!!!Here is the 1948 ER

So looking for some help to find a birth for his son or more importantly a marriage. I am thinking the marriage must have been 1939 ish then by time 1948 ER comes along the son is old enough to be on the ER's

Does this all make sense or am I jumping to too much conclusions?

Many thanks

Steven
                    Last edited by stevie2006; 26-11-13, 17:39.

Comment

Hope that isn't too log a post. What I don't know is who is John's wife is it

Is his wife Phyllis or Mary? I am hopeless at finding marriages I never seem to know what to look for so any help as always is much appreciated

Steven
                      Last edited by stevie2006; 26-11-13, 17:40.

Comment

Found John & Mary on their own in the 1945 ER at 5 Forester Street, Tower Hamlets so I think its a marriage between 1939 and 1945 I am looking for.

In 1946 its John, Mary and Phyllis so I am thinking Phyllis is a daughter

Comment

looks fine to me Steve!.. i'll have a look to see if I can spot anything that looks likely
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                            Found John & Mary on their own in the 1945 ER at 5 Forester Street, Tower Hamlets so I think its a marriage between 1939 and 1945 I am looking for.

In 1946 its John, Mary and Phyllis so I am thinking Phyllis is a daughter

If the marriage was between 1939 and 1945 it is not possible for Phyllis to be a daughter and on the ER with them as she would not be old enough.

Margaret

Comment

What about this marriage ..

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
                              John S Smith / Mary Ann Dulwich
                              Apr-May-Jun 1922
                              Registration District: Mile End Old Town
                              Volume Number 1c
                              Page Number 622

and two children

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005
                              Phyllis L Smith
                              MMN - Dulwich
                              Jan-Feb-Mar 1925
                              Registration District: Mile End
                              Volume Number 1c
                              Page Number 561

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005
                              John W Smith
                              MMN - Dulwich
                              Oct-Nov-Dec 1926
                              Registration District: Stepney
                              Volume Number 1c
                              Page Number 362
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post

Then I have the ER's

So looking for some help to find a birth for his son or more importantly a marriage. I am thinking the marriage must have been 1939 ish then by time 1948 ER comes along the son is old enough to be on the ER's

Does this all make sense or am I jumping to too much conclusions?

Many thanks

Steven
                                at what age would you have the right to vote in 1948? would it be 18 as it is now or 21? if that is the case then JW might not be old enough if he was born 1939.. [sorry to muddy the waters!] can you follow them any further in the ERs or phone book?

just having a look now..
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-11-13, 18:22.
                                Julie

Comment

lol!! Elaine, I like the smilies!
                                  Julie

Comment

with a couple of other birth registrations in the same area with Smith surname and MMN Dulwich

William S Smith
                                    Oct-Nov-Dec 1928
                                    Stepney

Iris F Smith
                                    Jul-Aug-Sep 1930
                                    Stepney
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      lol!! Elaine, I like the smilies!
                                      lol ... managed to get rid of them now!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        lol ... managed to get rid of them now!
                                        that flippin editor...lol.. makes life quite interesting sometimes
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X