Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow PC and internet dropping off could it be drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow PC and internet dropping off could it be drivers?

For the last 4 days its taking ages to go to a site or turn a page and the internet keeps dropping off , rang Talktalk today and they asked me to run through a few things which showed my internet was fine ? as far as they were concerned it was a problem my end and it must be my drivers ?
    Is this possible and if so is there a online way of updating them
    This is a Dell Hybrid PC.
    Thanks

Capture.JPGthis is what I am getting now internet is very intermittent

Comment

Did you try turning everything off, including the router?
      Turn the router back on before the PC to let the connection settle.

Apologies if you've already tried that
      Anne

Comment

Thanks for replying Anne I've tried everything even installed the talktalk disc again , the internet touch wood is on for now but although it says its on , quite often it wont load up any sites

Comment

Val, have you done a speedtest on your internet - perhaps testing at intervals during the day.
          You could try these ...

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.
          Elaine

Comment

'Drivers' have nothing at all to do with your connection problem

From the image that you supplied, it means that your connection is the problem.
            A DNS (Domain Name Server) is a large computer server on the SERVICE PROVIDER's network.
            It converts the textual address (ie www.bbc.co.uk) that you type into the actual numerical address that the Internet works on (ie 192.168.0.3.2)

If your connection is slow (therefore a BT landline problem), 'noisy' or cannot actually connect to the DNS server, then you will get the DNS error, as it is not able to connect to it correctly.

I had this happening for a few weeks on my connection, then suddenly the problem stopped as quickly as it started

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]17016[/ATTACH]this is what I am getting now internet is very intermittent
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-11-13, 07:30.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

It is possible to change the DNS server that is supplied by your ISP and use a public DNS server but I would not recommend this unless you feel happy about changing your computer's settings. If this is a short-term problem, as Trevor says, it will stop when the ISP sorts it out.

This forum http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/U...ht/m-p/1021376 indicates that you are not alone in having problems with TalkTalk DNS.

One quick check that you can use when having a problem is to type an IP address directly into the address bar. For example, 173.252.110.27, should lead you to Facebook and if that works but www.facebook.com doesn't, or is slow, then that is further evidence that there is a DNS server problem.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone this is the first time today I have been able to get on here, I tried my Laptop and that wouldn't pick up the internet either so I was more or less sure Talktalk were wrong saying its my drivers.
                I might disappear again am getting withdrawal symptoms:(shall try testing the speed and the other suggestions thanks all.

Comment

Val - are you anywhere near Cambridge?

Apparently recent adverse weather has affected the network and Talktalk are working to repair it

Our community is packed with information, tips and tricks to get the most from your broadband, gadgets and TV. If you’re unable to find an answer,

I've had a similar issue recently - only being able to get on sometimes and never at peak times. As I'm only around at peak times I wasn't very happy. I did report the fault to talk talk, and kept escalating it until it was resolved.

Keep reporting it if it doesn't get resolved too
                  Barbara

Comment

tried 173.252.110.27 pc froze then tried the web address and it went straight there, then tried 173.252.110.27 again and it went straight there?
                    Tried speedtest download 3946 kbps upload 776 kbps is that good??

Comment

now thats interesting Barbara as we have had some really misty weather this last few days, Cambridge is the next county to us , why do talktalk lie ? they should be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        Tried speedtest download 3946 kbps upload 776 kbps is that good??
                        Depends what you are contracted for Val - but that is higher than I ever get!
                        Elaine

Comment

is it thats good then Elaine its so obviously not my drivers then? and thanks for that link Barbara seems there is a widespread problem.

Comment

Been off all day am typing this quick before it goes again
                            Rang talktalk on phone for over an hour told her I'd rung and reported it and the man I spoke to told me it was my drivers ,same old questions over and over
                            Question so you keep losing the internet? me yes ,and it did not even come on this morning took over an hour then it went, question so your losing the internet ? me I just said that, question how long has it been happening me I told you the last few days, then she says go to the talktalk page, this time my question how? when I dont have the internet? try it anyway she says ,I say it wont work how can it? but to please her I do, question have you done it ? me yes question and whats happening ? me the little circle is going round and round and round etc, silence, after another minute question whats happening now, me the same thing the circle is going round and round .
                            You get the picture ????
                            I cut her off in the end and she promptly rang me back, said they would test my phone socket, no problems found, okay then unplug the router and plug it in another phone socket and leave it there for at least 24 hours ,so not only does she expect me to go without a PC I have to keep my eye on it and then ring them back and report any changes ?? can anybody tell me what changes I should expect ??? as she couldn't tell me .
                            Have now put the router back where it usually is and at the moment have a connection.
                            Any suggestions for a good broadband server?? thanks

Comment

We left Talktalk because they were useless! We have been with Sky now for about two or three years. Faster speed and cheaper because we have Sky TV. No problems thank goodness.
                              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

this has been great for a while now since they gave me a new router, its like most things okay till you get a problem, I was thinking of going over to them Wendy ,will have a look.

Comment

I am with BT Infinity and am quite happy with them. How long has your contract with Talk Talk to run? If you are out of contract ask them for a MAC code (You need this to go to another provider). Asking for a Mac code usually shakes them up to mending the problem. I wish I had your speeds.

Good luck.
                                  Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

thanks Linda Talktalk are okay till there is a problem, trouble is getting somebody on the phone who speaks and understands English.

Comment

BT has a terrible record for its after sales service, the same as Sky.
                                      I have been with TalkTalk for 10 years and never had a problem, yet the others in my block of flats, who use BT and Sky have had real problems.

No matter who you have as an ISP, they all have call centres that are full of 1st stage contact operatives who just follow a set Q&A script.
                                      If they cannot assist you there, you get put up to 2nd stage, where some one may ask slightly different questions and maybe fix it (if you are dam lucky), or book an engineer.

The main problem is that we use technology and expect too much of it for the infrastructure we have.
                                      Networks are clogged with millions of texts/tweets etc that are a complete waste of resources, millions of videos and tv signals are streamed to devices and therefore slow down the systems.
                                      Just consider a motorway on a weekday at 3am and then at a weekend with all the 'sunday trippers' The motorway needs to be widened and that takes ages to complete and inconveniences the users.
                                      Exactly the same is happening to our country's telecoms system
                                      While things are being updated, other areas suffer.

Researching:
                                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I wouldn't mind it dropping down a bit now and then Trevor but this is dropping right off for hours at a time, and most days when I log on its not even starting up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X