john william ambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john william ambler

i'm trying to track down john william ambler and having no luck.

john william ambler b.27 jun 1839, ch.27 sep 1839, st peter leeds. son of lawrence ambler (b.1812) and dorothy halliwell (c.1812-1848).
    i have him in 1841, leeds with parents and elder sister elizabeth (1833-1898).
    dorothy dies in 1848, lawrence is informant. this is my last sighting of father lawrence.
    1851, leeds in the workhouse school for pauper children with younger siblings thomas (b.1844) and annie (b.1842), neither of which i can trace after this census mind you.

next sighting is in pancras, 18 jul 1869, marrying elizabeth anne shirley.
    john william ambler- full age. bachelor. shoemaker of york buildings. father-lawrence ambler, carpenter.
    elizabeth anne shirley- minor, spinster. of york buildings. father- william shirley, deceased shoemaker.
    wittnesses: samuel and sarah drabble. (elizabeth's mum and step father)

in 1871, at the old artillery ground in london. reg district given as whitechapel.
    john ambler- 31, b.1840, leeds. occupation cordwainer.
    elizabeth- 20, b.1850, woolwich, kent. wife.
    annie- 3mths, b.1871, whitechapel, london.

after this i am less sure of his movements. possible 1881 st james, london:
    john ambler- 41, b.1840 leeds. cordwainer.
    frances- 39, b.1842, middlesex. wife.
    james lewis- 13, b.1868 holborn. errand boy, step son.

i think he returned to leeds after this, (see *** below) as i cannot locate him or frances after that census. and there is this:

ch. 1 apr 1888, st george leeds. dorothy ellen, dau of john william ambler and mary jane. father a shoe maker. i found dorothy ellen in the 1891 census in leeds with widowed mother mary jane. and an elder brother enumerated as 'william jane' ambler. though i cannot find any more baptisms for this couple, and looking for the wife in the previous census i can only spot one with husband samuel ambler?

there is a death in 1890 leeds for a john william ambler age 48. which seems to tie in with dorothy ellen's family.

***i think john returned to leeds, as i found his daughter annie there.
    1871- she is at the artillery in london with parents.
    1881- london with grandfather samuel drabble.
    1891- servant in arthington near leeds.
    3 feb 1896, st luke holbeck, yorks. annie ambler daughter of john william ambler a shoe maker, married james william burton (barton on ancestry).
    they are in london in 1901 and then willesden in 1911, with a whole host of kids that don't tally with their census returns!

can anyone find john cnclusively after 1871? or maybe disprove the child dorothy ellen as his?

I have looked on the 1881 census for your man, he and his wife are living at 54 Marshall Street St. James London, Sub District: Westminster, Sub registration district: Golden Square. Piece 123. Folio 81. Number 43. The household consists of John Ambler (cordwainer) Frances Ambler and John Lewis aged 13. I have captured a copy of the census if you would like a copy please pm me with your email and I will send it over to you.
    Vonny

Comment

There's this record of a Frances Ambler dying in 1885?

Name: Frances Elizabeth Ambler
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
      Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1885
      Age at Death: 48
      Registration District: Wakefield
      Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
      Volume: 9c
      Page: 36

And this seems to be Dorothy Ambler as an adopted daughter in 1901: http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/7...l=ReturnRecord

The death of Mary Jane Ambler in 1894?:

Name: Mary Jane Ambler
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
      Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1894
      Age at Death: 38
      Registration District: Leeds
      Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
      Volume: 9b
      Page: 291
      Last edited by Felix; 18-11-13, 14:26.

Comment

thanx vonny, i have the image, i think it's him because of birthplace and occupation. but can't see a death for elizabeth, and there doesn't appear to be a marriage for frances to john.

Comment

felix,

that all ties in, and that dorothy married william matthews in 1910, wakefield. they are at kirby lodge, horbury in 1911. she is down as the adopted daughter of william henry molesworth beetham and his wife dinah, who was born in llanassa, flintshire, like the 1901 census entry. dorothy had a daughter, gladys ambler matthews age 8 mths.

what i want to know though, is dorothy ellen ambler, a daughter of my john william ambler? i hadn't realised shoemaker and cordwainer were the same occupation. and i can't locate a marriage for this ellen's parents.

Comment

Hi,

There was a Mary Jane Ambler buried in communal grave 11429, along with 12 unrelated others, at Beckett Street Cemetery, Leeds in 1894.

Other than the name no other details are mentioned, no age or address.

Ian

Comment

i would say that mary jane burial fits. i don't know how big the beckett st cemetery is, but john's mother was buried there in 1848.

Comment

Beckett Street is a very large cemetery.

Dorothy Ambler was buried there in 1848 unconsecrated grave 15410 along with 5 unrelated others. Again there are no further details given.

Ian

Comment

thank you ian.

Comment

Working...
                  X