William Adie - a bit excited I might have found him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Adie - a bit excited I might have found him

I have been looking for ages and had given up on William Adie but today searched the ER's and knew he was now alive by the time they stop on ancestry in 1955. So I put in a death range of 1965 plus and minus 10 years and found this

Its a probate calendar from 3rd April 1963 and says William Adie died 28th February 1963 and says his wife was Rose Adie (aka Rose Ward) what do I do with now? Does this mean there is a Will? It says his name is William Stanley Adie and he dies at Plaistow General Hospital and left Rose £1086

Very excited indeed!!!! and a bit pleased with myself lol

Any advice as always is greatly appreciated

Steven

I still wonder where he was buried as it looks like its not with Rose his wife. She was buried at Chadwell Heath Cemetery

Steven

Comment

I thought this sounded vaguely familiar - here is your earlier thread:

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

It was/is very long so haven't read it all through, but did you come across this when you were looking before for William Adie: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...RENCE%20LILIAN - just in case the one you have found is not the same William.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
        Its a probate calendar from 3rd April 1963 and says William Adie died 28th February 1963 and says his wife was Rose Adie (aka Rose Ward) what do I do with now? Does this mean there is a Will? It says his name is William Stanley Adie and he dies at Plaistow General Hospital and left Rose £1086

Any advice as always is greatly appreciated

Steven
        Yes as probate was granted to Rose there was a will, which you can purchase. By the way, although probate was granted to Rose it doesn't necessarily mean the whole amount was left to her - the will may name other people.
        Here's a link to the probate service to help you order a copy of the will. http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...f-grants-wills
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Caroline yes I had kind of given up with William but thought I would check the ER's yesterday and then cross referenced against death records. However now I am worried as the link you give is to a woman I have never heard of. Are there 2 William Adie's.

I know from Rose's death certificate that William was listed as a postman but now I am really worried as it says on her death certificate that he was William Johnston Adie. Rose died in Romford on 4th May 1969. On the marriage certificate it just has William Adie occupation private in royal army ordnance corps. They married on 8th November 1924.

Now I am really confused and shouldn't have been so confident that I had found him that will teach me? Now really not sure.

What would anyone recommend now? Get the death certificate or send away for the Will?

Thanks Judith for the link I take it that I am ok to order it as he died many years ago or do I need to prove my link? I take it if I have the date of probate that would pin point the date of the Will?

That's a real blow and wonder now if I have it all wrong? The probate part on ancestry does say wife Rose Ward but is this wrong or did he marry again?

Steven

Comment

Sorry, but digging deeper on FMP, I am fairly sure that William Stanley is unlikely to be yours:

William S Adie married Florence L Rick in West Ham, Essex Q3 1926

She died (as above)

William S Adie married Rose Staff in Chatham, Kent Q1 1946
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's a nightmare what are the chances of 2 William Adie's both marrying a Rose. Back to the drawing board for William. Last time he is alive and with Rose is on the 1955 ER so I guess I need to start from there. I know that Rose is a widow in 1969 so I need to concentrate between 1955 to 1969.

Thanks Caroline you did save me a death certificate and will cost - much appreciated. Just got carried away when I thought I had found my first ever Will!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Right name, wrong person... back to the drawing board Steven,

I *really* don't think that the probate you have found is for your William Adie. BUT if you were going to 'prove it' then the will would be cheaper than a cert, [wills from memory cost £6, a D/cert is £9.25?] bit vague on the price of a d/cert as I haven't bought one since they went up from £7!!..
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie yes I think it's not him as per Caroline's post. William Stanley Adie looks different from my William Adie. Would a husband and wife not generally be buried together? I have always thought it strange that Rose is buried with her son and no sign of William.

Oh well now to have a look for William Adie will try William j Adie and also Adey as name is done times spelt wrong

Steven

Comment

Just had a thought maybe my ER's are also wrong if there are 2 william's and 2 rose's

:(

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post

I still wonder where he was buried as it looks like its not with Rose his wife. She was buried at Chadwell Heath Cemetery

Steven
                      Interesting that the headstone makes no mention of her being a wife as well as mother. Even if William was already dead you would have thought the children would make mention of her being a wife too so maybe there was some ill feeling against William and he had left Rose before he died.

Margaret

Comment

I know Margaret it certainly looks like there is something else to this story.

No mention of him on the stone certainly stands out and no apparent death that I can see.

Hmmmmmm

Comment

The birth certificate of Eric Leonard Adie (William & Rose's son) has father listed as William Adie postman of 96 St Ann's Road, Stepney - birth date was 7th February 1930. Rose signed it as informant

Also found his postal record - he joined postal service on March 1929

Steven
                          Last edited by stevie2006; 17-11-13, 12:03.

Comment

Working...
                          X