Mary Ann Degraw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Degraw

Mary Ann DeGraw is a " BRICK WALL FOR MYSELF!!!!!!!! " Through Canadian census records Mary Ann could have been born 1822 - 23 - 26. Information I have achieved to date states, Mary Ann was b. 1822 Cranbro, Oxford County,
    Blenheim District, Ontario, Canada. From various other census records, I get her full name, Mary Ann. From a marriage event of her son Robert Dodman, in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. To an Eva Dickman, I get her maiden name as,
    DeGraw. Mary Ann is of " French Ethnic, her religion is West Methodist in 1861 & 1871, & I have found out she was illiterate as well. Mary Ann was married to William Dodman b. 1821, Snettisham, Norfolk, England & immigrated to Canada. Mary Ann d. 1874 & William d. 1875. Where they R.I.P. I am " NOT SURE!!!!!!!!!! " Their last living event took place, Zone Twp. Bothwell, Ontario, Canada ( part of Chatham - Kent today ). Mary & William married, All Saints Church, Brantford,
    Ontario, Canada, in 1841. Brantford is very close to Oxford County, Blenheim District.

While researching Mary Ann, I have come across a very interesting family indeed. I will start with William DeGrauw ( DeGraw ) b. 1751 New York. Married to Annatjie Gerow b. 15 Mar 1755 New York. They married 1776 Tappan New York.

Their son Daniel DeGrauw ( DeGraw ) b. 1789 New York - d. 1868 ? Married to Maria ( Mary ) Watson b. 1788 - d. 1868 ? They married 12 Dec 1809, New Jersey. Their children were ... 1. Hannah ( Annetje ) DeGrauw ( DeGraw ) b. 10 May 1811 - d. 18 Feb 1868. Hannah was married. 2. Peter b. 1814 - d. ? 3. * Elizabeth b. 1822 - d? 4. Margaret b. 1825 - d.? 5. * Ann b. 1826 - d. ? 6. * Mary b. 1828 - d. ? Through an U.S. census check, it does not state where or what country these children were born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My points I am making in this post - is that I have made a French Connection through Annatjie Gerow b. 15 mar 1755 N.Y. Her line decends & immigrates to the U.S. from " FRANCE!!!!!!! " The birth dates for * Elizabeth 1822 & * Ann 1826, especially are the same as I am talking about, * Mary 1828 could also be in the running!!!!!!!!! There is " NO RECORD OF ANY OF THESE CHILDREN BEING BORN IN THE U.S. AT ALL!!!!!!!!! "

Thank You VERY MUCH For Taking Time With This, Post!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
    Jeff

you will need to find mary anne''s birth before you link her to a new york family. annatjie in that family i think would be of dutch stock, not french.

sounds like you've googled and found someone else's tree. you need to work back from what you have as solid evidence and go from there.

Comment

"Where they R.I.P. I am " NOT SURE!!!!!!!!!! ...( part of Chatham - Kent today )""

I wonder if this is your William Dodman in OCFA (http://ocfa.islandnet.com//)
      DODMAN, Wm. Sherman, Thamesville Kent Camden KT-645-1

And I wonder if this is your Mary
      DODMAN, Mary Sherman, Thamesville Kent Camden KT-645-1

Ontario Gen Socs are very active. The last bit (KT,etc) is a reference - you can find the corresponding book/listing, and you'll get the details of the gravestone. The GenSocs also have transcriptions of BMD events from local papers - with DOD, you may be able to find an obit, too.

Comment

What I have as solid information about Mary Ann is that she was born 1822, Cranbro, Oxford County, Blenheim District, Ontario, Canada. Mary Ann was married to William Dodman b. 1821, Snettisham, Norfolk Eng. Mary Ann & William married, All Saints Church, 1841, Brantford, Ontario, Canada. Which is in Brant County, very close to Oxford County, Blenheim District. I do not have parents or any siblings of Mary. This is " MY BRICK WALL!!!!!! " According to Canadian census Wm. 1821 - d. 1875 & Mary Ann d. 1874. Wm & Mary had a very large family, with children born, here in Ontario. Their children were... 1. William Henry b. 1840 - d. 1891, married to Jeanette Mcintyre b. 1845 - d. 1890 2. Mary Ann b. 1843 3. Elizabeth b. 1847 4. Thomasb. 1849 5. James b. 1851? 6. Seth Edward b. 1853 7. Martha Jane b. abt 1858 8. Richard b. 1861 9. Robert b. 1861.

This William Dodman & Mary, Sherman Cemetery, Thamesville, are not the right people!!!!!!!!!!! This Wm was b. 1799 - d. abt. 19 Jul 1855 at age 56. Mary at his side b. 1782 - d. abt. 12 Apr 1834 at age 52. " I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT A MISTAKE OF SUCH
        MAGNATUDE COULD BE MADE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Yours Truly

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch And Patch View Post

This William Dodman & Mary, Sherman Cemetery, Thamesville, are not the right people!!!!!!!!!!! This Wm was b. 1799 - d. abt. 19 Jul 1855 at age 56. Mary at his side b. 1782 - d. abt. 12 Apr 1834 at age 52. " I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT A MISTAKE OF SUCH
          MAGNATUDE COULD BE MADE LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Yours Truly

Jeff
          Sorry Jeff, I don't understand your point. A mistake made by who?
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Mary Ann DeGraw

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
            Sorry Jeff, I don't understand your point. A mistake made by who?
            A mistake with the dates when the head stone was made, by whom ever!!!!! The ages of both William b. 1799 - d. abt 19 Jul 1855, 56 yrs. old & Mary b. 1782 - d. abt 12 Apr 1834 52 yrs. old, are the same as William Dodman b. 1821 died 1875 56 yrs. old Mary DeGraw b. 1822 - d. 1874 at 52 yrs. old.

Is a mistake possible!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
            Jeff

Comment

i don't think you have a mistake at all. you have a headstone recording deaths for a william and mary dodman. you have not given any info that says they are relatives of yours. and i certainly would not think they are your william dodman and mary degraw. do you have a copy of the marriage record? what does it say? have you looked for a birth for mary degraw in cranbro?

Comment

Mary Ann DeGraw

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                i don't think you have a mistake at all. you have a headstone recording deaths for a william and mary dodman. you have not given any info that says they are relatives of yours. and i certainly would not think they are your william dodman and mary degraw. do you have a copy of the marriage record? what does it say? have you looked for a birth for mary degraw in cranbro?
                Eh Kyle: I do not see a mistake here either!!!!!!! These 2 people in Sherman Cemetery are believed to be William 1821 & Mary 1822, by other people doing genealogy here as well. These other people believe a mistake has been made here with the dates that are recorded. I have been in contact with the Cemetery Office in Chatham & Town Hall records in Thamesville & have been told by both places there is no mistakes made. So along with yourself I now have a 3rd party agreement with myself. As far for William 1821 - 1875 & Mary 1822 - 1874, where the " HECK ARE THEY BURRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!! " " I DO NOT KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

As for Mary DeGraw herself, I have travelled to Oxford County & talked with the Ontario Genealogy Society, about her. Their records do not go back this far & they had no idea where Cranbro, Blenheim District, was!!!!!!! Kyle, I am way past any O.G.S. in Ontario. My records are correct & date back futher than any of their records. I have done extensive research on my family tree, I do not have a William Dodman 1799 in it. All Dodman's I am related to, that originated here in Canada, came from Norfolk County England. The Dodman family in Norfolk, that I have researched, dates back to Bacton 1538 est. In my tree I have Johannes ( John ) Dodman b. 10 Nov 1568. This John Dodman was the 1st Dodman born that is my direct - line - of - lineage, that dropped the " E ' out of the " DODEMAN NAME!!!!!!!!!!! " His father was Phillippi Dodeman that I have est. birth at 1538. I have followed & recorded their migrations into Sculthorpe, Fakenham, & into Snettisham. From here Kyle, I have Dodman relatives over most of the globe. Places such as Peru, Australia, France, U.S, Canada & Europe!!!!!!!!!!!

In closing Kyle, I am at a " Brick Wall Again " - Mary DeGraw 1822 & now William Dodman 1799. Any help here would " BE DEEPLY APPRICIATED!!!! "

Yours Truly
                Jeff ;)

Comment

I am very confused - why are you trying to find William Dodman 1799 if he is so definitely not your relative?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    I am very confused - why are you trying to find William Dodman 1799 if he is so definitely not your relative?

OC
                    I think he is trying to find WHO they are OC, a parallel family? two people with same names in same area around the same time, but he can't find 'his' William & Mary
                    [William 1821 - 1875 & Mary 1822 - 1874]

and not

William Dodman b. 1799 - d. abt. 19 Jul 1855 at age 56. Mary at his side b. 1782 - d. abt. 12 Apr 1834 at age 52
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh, right, thanks Julie.

The only way to settle this would be for you to go and look at the headstones yourself, Jeff. I suspect a mistake in reading the headstones, very easy to confuse a 3 with a 5 on a worn and weathered stone.

I know nothing about Canada but perhaps "French ethnicity" means French Canadian, because I agree with Kyle that the names are Dutch/Belgian etc and not French.

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 18-11-13, 20:40.

Comment

Is this your William Dodman - baptised Snettisham 7 Jan 1821, son of Nicholas Dodman & Mary nee Pilgrim?
                        In which case, do you by any chance have details of William's arrival in Canada? (Nicholas was born at Fring and was the youngest brother of my ancestress Ann Mary Dodman.)

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

you're welcome OC
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch And Patch View Post
                            I am way past any O.G.S. in Ontario. My records are correct & date back futher than any of their records. I have done extensive research on my family tree
                            Hi, Jeff,
                            I've thought with my own research that there comes a time where there are no simple answers, and that it's difficult to explain to others what has and has not been searched/rejected/destroyed/etc.

Familysearch has written articles about researching Ontario records. There's one piece of advice that they recommend, that I've made a half-hearted stab at without success: locating probate records thru land records ("In Ontario thousands of wills were registered at land offices and did not go through a court probate process. See Ontario Land and Property. "). You may find this article useful. If you can figure out how to make it work, you can request the appropriate films to a local Family History Centre near you:

The wiki may be able to provide you with other research directions as well. I don't know if you've looked for the biography books that were written in the latter 1800s. Even if they don't contain information about the two ancestors you seek, it may include information about their children - and their children's ancestry.

Good luck!
                            Sarah
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-11-13, 05:22.

Comment

Jeff,

I do not know whether or not this could be relevant, but I will post it just in case. De Graw is not such a common name that I have come across, but I do have a Thomas De Graw marrying a Margaret O'Neil. I do not know where or when Thomas was born but Margaret was born 1863 and died 1914 and married around 1890. They lived in Cook Illinois which is not too far from Buffalo? Yes, I do realise ithis is over the border to the USA, but so many crossed the borders back then for whatever reason. They are on the 1910 USA census at Chicago Ward 32 Cook Illinois mistranscribed as De Grave. They were also living in Cleveland at some point in time so is it possible that any of your De Graw are from these areas and therefore worth looking into? My interest is the O'Neil family so I have done no research on the De Graw family.

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 19-11-13, 11:06.

Comment

"William Dodman b. 1799 - d. abt. 19 Jul 1855 at age 56. Mary at his side b. 1782 - d. abt. 12 Apr 1834 at age 52"

I wonder if the year of birth for William WAS 1799 ???
                                If the above dates are "right" and Mary was his wife, then she was 17 years his senior - not impossible, but unusual.
                                William survived Mary by 21 years - if there was no documentation to support his year of birth, the age given at burial is only as good as the knowledge of the informant.
                                Another thing to consider is the condition of the memorial stones - they can erode more in some places than others, making it difficult to read a particular digit. e.g 56, could have started out as 86, which again would only have been what the informant THOUGHT.
                                If William & Mary were man and wife, then a birth year of around 1780 could be a possibility.

William is a common forename name in this Dodman family.

This is way outside the box -
                                IF William junior was bp Snettisham 1821, the son of Nicholas Dodman & Mary (see my reply post 12) Nicholas was bp 1793 at Fring, the youngest of 7 known children, all born at Fring 1781 - 1793. A William Dodman (who could well have been an older sibling ) married at Fring in 1800. No-one researching this line of Dodman seems to know much about this older William after his marriage.
                                Do you have any earlier information on the William who died in Canada in 1855?
                                Did a brother of William jnr also go to Canada? (Nicholas was buried at Snettisham in 1832)

Jay
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-11-13, 11:09.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

And I am sure you already know this, but there was a considerable Dutch settlement in New Brunswick in the late 1700s, which could well account for Mary Degraw.

OC

Comment

Wiliiam Dodman & Mary DeGraw

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                    Wiliam Dodman b. 1821 - d. 1875, son of John Nicholas Dodman b. 1782 - d. 1832, Snettisham, Norfolk, England, Parish Fring & Mary Pilgrim b. 1783 Norfolk County - d. UNKNOWN. William married Mary DeDraw, 1841, Brant County, Brantford, Ontario Canada.

After the death of John Nicholas in 1832, I have this Mary ( Pilgrim ) Dodman, registering, in Docking Norfolk, in 1834, for her 2nd marriage to John Hipkins b. 1784 Norfolk County, Mary & John immigrated into Canada between 1834 & 1838.
                                    Their son Richard Hipkins was b. in 1838, Oxford County, Blenheim District, Ontario, Canada. Richard came to Kent County, Ontario, Canada & lived in Thamesville!!!!!! He married Jane Ambrose 1861, had a daughter Jenny. Mary Hipkins was present for the marriage event & this is the end of the trail I have for her. I do have a tentative death date of 1898, for Mary , according to this date she was " BACK IN NORFOLK COUNTY ENGLAND!!!!!!!! " Richard Hipkins died May 25th 1911,
                                    from " APOLEXY. " Richard Hipkins R.I.P. Mayhew Cemetery, Thamesville, On.

Sorry about getting carried AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
                                    Jeff ;)

Comment

If Mary (Pilgrim) Dodman was born in 1783 I would think she was a little old at 55 to be giving birth to a son. Not impossible, but unlikely. The tentative death date you have for her in 1898 would make her 115 when she died. Are you sure you are not missing a generation in this family?
                                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

These dates for William Dodman 1799 - d. 19 Jul 1855 & Mary ( ? ) b. 1782 - d. 12 Apr are " CONFIRMED!!!!!! " By Municipality, Chatham - Kent, Cemetery Records!!!!!!!!!!! Plus while at the library in Blenheim, On. ( where I live ) & being on Ancestry .com library edition the dates for William Dodman 1799 - d. 19 Jul 1855 are also " CONFIRMED!!!!!!! " I have a print out of this record.

As for the name " DEGRAW " yes it is " Dutch. " But going backwards in time a William DeGRAUW ( DEGRAW ) b. 1751 est. New York U.S., Married a Anntjie Gerow b. 15 Mar 1755 New York. They married 1776 Tappan New York. The " Gerow name is FRENCH!!!!!!! " Going backwards again Anntjie Gerow's grand parents originate from " FRANCE " & immigrate to the U.S., New York, in the mid to late 1600's. Thus making my Mary DeGraw, " FRENCH ETHNIC!!!!!!!!! "

William DeGrauw 1751 & Anntjie Gerow had a son Daniel DeGrauw ( DeGraw ) b. 1789 New York - d. Aug 1877. Married to Mary Maria Watson b. 1788 New Jersey - d. 1868. They married 12 Dec 1809 New Jersey. Now this next part is very interesting & indeed worth looking at. Their children were... 1. Hannah Anntje b. 10 May 1811 - d. 18 Feb 1834, 2. Peter b. 1814, 3. * Elizabeth b. 1822, 4. Margaret b. 1825, 5. * Ann b. 1826, 6. * Mary b. 1828. I have found out in an 1851 census ( U.S. ) check. " DOES NOT LIST WHAT COUNTRY THESE CHILDREN WERE BORN IN!!!!!!!!!!!! " MY point here is that * Elizabeth 1822, * Ann 1826 match birthdates for my Mary DeGraw in census records here in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * Mary 1828 could also fit!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Any help with this reply " WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRICIATED!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Yours Truly
                                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                        X