Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents of William Greenwood

Hi Everyone,

I originally posted a request for information on the a/m person on 13.12.2011. As a result of my post, I received lots of useful info - but unfortunately not the big breakthrough. Therefore, can anyone help with the following?

I am trying to establish who were William Greenwood's parents.

Briefly, he was born probably during the 2nd. quarter of 1844 in Yorkshire, England and died on 21.05.1882 at 8. Stansfield Street, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough.
    His mother was present at the time of his death, but her initial on William's death certificate is illegible and all attempts to decipher it, have failed.

According to the 1881 UK Census, a completely different family were living at that address. So who was living with William at 8 Stansfield Street, Middlesbrough, just prior to his death in May 1882?

Many thanks,

Brian

Here is a link to the previous thread:

to save duplication of research.

It might be better to continue on that thread Brian, as all the information is there.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 16-11-13, 17:42. Reason: Link

Comment

there is a william Greenwood born 1845 living at number 15 Stansfield Street Middlesborough a boarder.
      The family he is with is
      head of house Isabella Ford and her children.

Comment

Thanks for that OC.

Brian

Comment

Brian, please can you say why you think he was born 2nd qrt 1844 in Yorkshire?

Comment

I've taken a look at the death certificate and I think the initial is a 'y'. It does however look more like a small case y not a capital Y. Could her full name have been written on the original death cert but either became smudged or very faint, making it impossible to read, or even the first letters being invisible?

My thinking being: is the 'y' the last letter of her first name.
            Last edited by Guest; 16-11-13, 19:33.

Comment

Hi Susan,

according to his death certificate, he was 38 years old when he died in May 1882, so I have just worked it back to 1844.

Comment

After carrying out intensive searches here's my thoughts: Although William is entered on 1881 census as born Middlesbro' - either he WASN'T born Middlesbro' OR his birth surname WASN'T Greenwood. Not very helpful Brian, sorry! It's a difficult search as we don't have a first name for his mother. I think (relying on memory here) you mentioned that William had two young sons both entered with surname Ford on 1881 census; do you have their birth cert's, and if so what address is given?

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                  After carrying out intensive searches here's my thoughts: Although William is entered on 1881 census as born Middlesbro' - either he WASN'T born Middlesbro' OR his birth surname WASN'T Greenwood. Not very helpful Brian, sorry! It's a difficult search as we don't have a first name for his mother. I think (relying on memory here) you mentioned that William had two young sons both entered with surname Ford on 1881 census; do you have their birth cert's, and if so what address is given?

According to my records (birth certificates), William had two sons - William b. 13.06.1876, Railway Huts, Embleton, Yorkshire and Charles b. 25.07.1878, Harrogate Cottages, Norton, Yorkshire.

Brian

Comment

Have you checked these birth places, Brian. Embleton and Norton are in the registration district of Stockton - Durham not Yorkshire.
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-11-13, 00:14.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Katarzyna,

yes you are correct - those two places are in fact in County Durham and not in Yorkshire (sorry, my mistake).

Brian

Comment

Just a thought on the death cert of William. I thought it wasn't an initial but a first name with the first letter missing ie ...ay, possibly May.

Think I better take another look

Vera

Comment

Vera

If you read through the other thread, you will see that the death cert is a MODERN copy (2004) and therefore the mystery letter is a clerical error by the copying clerk in 2004. I believe Brian had some discussion with the local registrar who looked at the ORIGINAL but could not come to any conclusion as to what the letter really was.

OC

Comment

OC

Got it. I thought they were looking at the copy like us! Don't know much about certs but now know you can ask for the original. I have a copy of all my certs and therefore no signatures.

I had a look last night but he seems to move from Co Durham to North Yorkshire but nothing coming up that is obvious. Just a thought same address for informant and deceased. I wonder if its an I for Isabella and she is calling herself 'mother'.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Vera

If you read through the other thread, you will see that the death cert is a MODERN copy (2004) and therefore the mystery letter is a clerical error by the copying clerk in 2004. I believe Brian had some discussion with the local registrar who looked at the ORIGINAL but could not come to any conclusion as to what the letter really was.

OC
                              Hi OC,

yes you are correct, even after a long telephone call with the Registrar in 2012, he was not able to decipher that "initial" for me either.
                              So the mystery of who Williams parents were, still remains - so as they say on English TV (we have not achieved "Perfection").

But many thanks for your inputs to-date.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
                                there is a william Greenwood born 1845 living at number 15 Stansfield Street Middlesborough a boarder.
                                The family he is with is
                                head of house Isabella Ford and her children.
                                When was this?

Has this been discounted as there is mention of the name Ford as being that for siblings of William and the possibility of the mother's inititial being y or I on his death cert.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Vera,

many thanks for your help - I too have for a while suspected that the informant on William's death certificate was in fact his wife Isabella and mistakenly the word "mother" was written instead.

Brian

Comment

Hi Margaret,

no that info as not been discounted - that William Greenwood is the person in question. However, I have no real evidence (marriage certificate etc.) that he was ever married to Isabella Ann, but that they simply lived together with their own children (William b. 1876 and Charles b. 1878) and Isabella's child (John George Ford b. ca. 1865-1867) from a previous marriage to Henry Ford.

Isabella's maiden name was "Renwick"

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by EquilibriumYaw View Post
                                      Hi Margaret,

no that info as not been discounted - that William Greenwood is the person in question. However, I have no real evidence (marriage certificate etc.) that he was ever married to Isabella Ann, but that they simply lived together with their own children (William b. 1876 and Charles b. 1878) and Isabella's child (John George Ford b. ca. 1865-1867) from a previous marriage to Henry Ford.

Isabella's maiden name was "Renwick"

Brian
                                      Right - so that Isabella was the mother of his children. Looking at the marriage cert it does look like a Y Greenwood but obviously you didn't find any trace of her.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                      X