CHAPMANs in N Devon, and the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHAPMANs in N Devon, and the USA

While helping out with some paperwork in OH's family the other day, various bits of genealogy treasure surfaced... his great-grandfather's death certificate, his grandparents' wedding cert, some WW1 docs and some letters.

Two of the letters were from about 1875. One was from a link (family, I think) in Stratford. Knowing that the post in those days was staggeringly fast, I couldn't understand why there were references to letters taking several days to get from Stratford to Plymouth... until I transcribed the letter in full and was forced to the conclusion that it wasn't the one in Warwickshire but in Connecticut. That letter was to let the UK family know that "Uncle William" had got home safely. The other letter - actually dated December 1875 - appeared to be from that William.

Tantalisingly, there are lots of names mentioned, and events, but I can't quite string them together enough to integrate them with the info I have got so far.

What is pleasing is that OH and his brother have both said they're happy for me to pass the older docs over on permanent loan to the Plymouth & W Devon RO, so that [a] they will be properly looked after and [b] they will be available to a wider circle of likely-interested people.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...
Working...
X