Getting confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting confused

If you have to prove you are next of kin to obtain WW2 records are they the same records that are kept at the National Archives and do you have to prove next of kin if you go to view them?

Linda

WW2 service records (apart from Merchant Navy) are not kept at the National Archives. You have to apply to the MOD to obtain them
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you. I think you had told me that already but it was confusing when I went onto the NA site and typed in his name and it came up with a WO number. I thought that meant that you could see them there

Thanks

Linda

Comment

You can get a more limited service record if you're not next of kin but can provide proof of death. And a fuller version if the death was 25 or more years ago. Still not the whole service record of course, but we found it was worth paying for.

Comment

Thanks Felix, He was a POW in Italy and escaped. He only died a few years ago and it's his son, my friend who want to obtain his records

Linda

Comment

The ref you found might be his POW record, perhaps. What was the WO reference? Was it WO208?
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Yes it was.

Linda

Comment

So that's his "Escapers and Evaders" POW record that I mentioned before

Comment

Thank you so much Annswabey. Got myself completely confused . My fault for starting two threads.

Thank once again

Linda
                  Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 14-11-13, 22:57.

Comment

Working...
                  X