Advice needed to find records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed to find records

My friend's Dad was a POW in WW2 in Italy and escaped, with some others. . He went to Italy with his Dad in the 60's and met the guide who led them safety and the family who sheltered him. Where would he get records from? His Dad died about 5 years ago

Thanks

Linda

There are guides here for POW records

Jackie

Comment

Next of kin can apply for the man's Army Records at a cost of about £30 and be prepared to wait for a few weeks' try this address;
      Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures 2, MS Support, Mail Point 535, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX.
      The phone number I have is a bit old but maybe helpful is; 0141 224 8034, good luck.

Comment

Thanks very much Alan. I'll ring my friend now

Linda

Comment

POW records for Second W War are online as Jackie has said, but it can be tricky finding them if you are looking for a common name and you do not know which POW camp he was sent to. I was searcing for records for an uncle of mine also in Italy after the battle of Monte Cassino, but found it difficult with a name like Taylor, and not knowing which regiment he was in, or which POW camp he was in. I am still hunting, but if the name you are looking for is not too common then good luck! Otherwise you may get more information first by applying for his records through MOD at a cost of £30 as Alan has said, and then look for the POW records afterwards. I am not sure if the MOD records of £30 would include the POW ones or not?

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 14-11-13, 13:23.

Comment

Linda,
            In our Military Research section in the library you will see a link to Veterans UK, which is where you need to apply for the record.

Under the section headed "1921 to present" - in the first line, click on Veterans UK.
            Then on the right hand side of the page you will see a link to "Records, Medals & Badges".
            Just follow it through and you will find the application forms which can be downloaded.
            Elaine

Comment

There may be a report on his time as POW and if so, it will be at the National Archives. It should give some personal info - name, address, rank, regiment, regimental number and should list the camps he was in with dates and may have names of people who helped him. There's an index to them on FMP under "Escapers and Evaders" but the originals (apart from a few) have to be obtained from the National Archives.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you I have now found him on The Escapers and Evaders Register.

Thanks very much

Linda

Comment

Working...
                X