Census records.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census records.

Can some kind soul tell me how far back Census records go please?
    I have found a brick wall with trying to find my Gr gr gr grandfather or his son in parish records, so may have to resort to census records to trace them.
    Twiglet

put his name and details up and someone will probably help you

Comment

UK Census records are 1911,1901,1891,1881,1871,1861,1851,1841, though the 1841 census has little information, the 1911 census shows the best source of information, but there are many more records for the UK ie: Familysearch have many https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND check out this list.

You can always ask here for help with your research if you want to leave some details to see what can be found

Edna

Comment

Thanks Val and Edna.
        I am stuck on this and cannot move forward with the search, have tried familysearch briefly just now and it's coming up as not known???? I know he existed somewhere as it states on his son's marriage record.
        Will try again tomorrow and if nothing comes of it I will return here for help.
        Twiglet

Comment

Ok I give in and admit I am stuck, so here are the details so some kind soul may help me further. (please)

My gr gr gr grandfather is Abraham Gornall b in or around 1800 (?)
          I don't know his birthplace or who he married but on Family search I found just 1 Abraham Gornall who married an Alice Seed in 1821 @ St John's in Preston. ( but this may not be him?)
          He had 2 son's that I know of.
          William Gornall b 1821 ( don't know where he was born or who his mother was?) He married a Nancy Welch in 184?
          and my gr gr grandfather Joseph Gornall, b in Skerton 1834, married Ruth Lambert on Chritsmas day 1855.
          They had 2 son's before Joseph died in 1862(?)
          George and Abraham (my gr grandfather)
          Abraham's son was my grandfather George Lambert Gornall b Skerton 1883.

Please could anyone find anything more about the Abraham b around 1800, who he married where he was born etc? I have a death date of 1834 for a Abraham Gornell (spelt with an E instead of A which is a common mistake with the name.) The death date says he died at Skerton, but I feel he wasn't born at Skerton Lancaster.
          Twiglet

Comment

Just to fill in a gap - William Gornall married Nancy Welch in 1849 (2nd quarter) in the Liverpool registration district.
            Elaine

Comment

Joseph Gornall is with Alice Gornall on the 1851 census - Alice is spelt 'Allis'. They are living in the township of Skerton. I have just looked on
              http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ and Alice is recorded as a widow at her time of marriage to Abraham Gornall - the witnesses were Phillip Lewthwaite and Law. Tomlison. Don't know whether this helps?

Sandra
              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 14-11-13, 11:17.

Comment

This could be the family in 1841 - with slightly mistranscribed names!
                Class: HO107; Piece: 554; Book: 18; Civil Parish: Lancaster; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 41; Page: 13; Line: 1

Household transcribed as:
                Allen Gordnon 55 (shown as female)
                Elizabeth Gordnon 14
                Ellen Gordnon 10
                Joseph Gordnon 7
                Wiliam Leed 25 (looks like Seed)
                Betsy Leed 20 (looks like Seed)
                Joseph Caton 20

- which would help tie it in with the Alice Seed marriage you found, where Alice is shown as being widowed.

Source: Lancs OPC
                Marriage: 17 Oct 1820 St John, Preston, Lancashire
                Abraham Gornall - (X), Bachelor, this Parish
                Alice Seed - (X), Widow, this Parish
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by TwigletNumber5 View Post

Please could anyone find anything more about the Abraham b around 1800, who he married where he was born etc? I have a death date of 1834 for a Abraham Gornell (spelt with an E instead of A which is a common mistake with the name.) The death date says he died at Skerton, but I feel he wasn't born at Skerton Lancaster.
                  The census for Joseph shows he was born in Skerton c1834, so although Abraham may not have been born there, he was probably living there at the time of his death, if indeed this is the right one!
                  Elaine

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JH1N-KQ7 Abraham died 12 Nov 1834 at Skerton Lancs age 34

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5LF-QPQ Josephs baptism at St Peters Liverpool

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5LN-2YW A baptism in 1820 for an Rd Gornal, Ribchester Lancs parents Abram Gornal and Alice Maymon

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5LN-GDB ****** This is a possible birth for Abraham Gorner at Ribchester 1799 parents Gulmi and Ellenae

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5LN-2YW A baptism in 1820 for an Rd Gornal, Ribchester Lancs parents Abram Gornal and Alice Maymon
                        This could fit in with Alice's maiden name being Maymon, before she married a Mr. Seed!

Marriage: 3 Aug 1812 St Wilfrid, Ribchester, Lancashire, England
                        John Seed - (X), this Parish of Ribchester and County of Lancaster
                        Alice Maymon - (X), this Parish of Ribchester and County of Lancaster
                        (source LancsOPC)

with a possible death for John Seed
                        Burial: 10 Jun 1816 St Wilfrid, Ribchester, Lancashire, England
                        John Seed - aged 29 years
                        Abode: Ribchester
                        source LancsOPC)
                        Elaine

Comment

That's looking good then Elaine as Ribchester for the birth place of Abraham

Edna

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Check out these Gorn** names at Ribchester to see what comes from it as I have to go out soon for my flu jab

Edna

Comment

That was close - looks like she married 6 days before she gave birth!

Sandra

Comment

That's looking good then Elaine as Ribchester for the birth place of Abraham

Edna
                                There's this ...

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

which is the baptism of an Abraham Gorner on 9 Nov 1799 at Ribchester, son of Gulmi and Ellenae.
                                Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 14-11-13, 12:04.
                                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                  That was close - looks like she married 6 days before she gave birth!

Sandra
                                  Don' 'cha just love these Just-In-Time Marriages?

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                                    There is a brother Joseph born to the same parents which looks good too in my last link

Edna

Yes have that one in message 11# STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                                      Don' 'cha just love these Just-In-Time Marriages?
                                      Not to mention the change in the spelling of the surname over such a short period of time!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Yes have that one in message 11# STG
                                        Sorry. Behind the game again - as usual! :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X