Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the right cert?

Hi

I have the death cert of Mary Weims (its actually Wemyss but the name is pronounced "weems" so there are differing variations of the spelling). The age and place (not actual address) match being Newcastle Upon Tyne, the name of the spouse also matches, however this certs is from 1867 and states "widow" (incorrect) husband as Peter (correct) but with his occupation wrong. 1871 Peter is in a lunatic asylum and dies there the following year.

I cant find any other Marys with a husband called Peter, plus the person who notified death is not someone I recognise. Do you think that perhaps Peter went into the asylum and Mary never spoke about it so they thought she was widowed, or that there was some sort of shame? Unfortunately I cant find the family in 1861 so I cant see the address of last known residence.

Do you think this is the right cert?
    Last edited by Lensgirl; 11-11-13, 11:04.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I'd say almost certainly you are right that Mary either told people Peter was dead, or let them believe so to avoid the stigma of him being in an asylum. I have a situation in my family where the wife was the one in the asylum - in my case though it was the asylum inmate who was registered as a widow although her husband was still alive, but living with a new family (he did have the decency to wait until her death before marrying the mother of his children); so I guess, as he never visited, the staff thought she was widowed.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Agree with Judith, social shame meant she presented herself as a widow.

My great great uncle came back from WW1 severely shellshocked and spent the next 49 years in an asylum. His wife told everyone - including her four children - that he was dead.

OC

Comment

Great thanks very much
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

thats very sad OC poor man

Comment

Val

Yes, so sad and I always think about him at this time of the year. Sometimes I think that maybe death wasn't the worst thing that could happen to you in WW1.

OC

Comment

I dont know if you watched the programme last night about the Blitz ,that was very moving a young boy who's father had told him to look after his mother while he was away, had made her go down a shelter which got bombed and she was killed he blamed himself for that, also a man who took his parents home after a family wedding and they got killed he often said after if only he had not taken them home .
              There must have been lots of people including civilians suffering with Post traumatic stress.

Comment

Robyne,

would you like to give some details of Mary and Peter please maybe we can find them in the census for you, Wemyss is a name that is quite prolific in scotland, have you looked there?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                X