Irish marriage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish marriage question

if on a Marriage record it says Husband status Married and Bride status Spinster does that mean he has been married before???
    Thanks

With the Irish, God Bless them, who knows Val ;)

Linda

Comment

The normal wording for anyone married previously would be one of either “widower”, or (at one time) “divorced” - nowadays “previous marriage dissolved” and occasionally “previous marriage annulled”. I have never seen “married”. On the face of it, that would suggest he was not free to marry at all. Do have a copy of the actual certificate, or is it a transcription? If a transcription, I’d suspect an error.

If it genuinely does say “married”, I would e-mail GRO Roscommon and ask them if they can explain or comment on it, since it doesn’t seem to make much sense.
      Last edited by Elwyn; 11-11-13, 11:30.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Michael Keegan M.jpgBless em Linda ??? not a word I'd use :(
        Its a marriage record not a cert this is it thanks

Comment

It’s a transcript made by one of the pay to view sites. I have used that site myself from time to time and have found quite a few transcription errors. I would be inclined to order a photocopy of the original cert from GRO Roscommon to see what it says. (If you have the full reference details, it should only cost you 4 euros). My guess is you’ll find that his marital status wasn’t “married.”
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thanks Elwyn

Comment

Working...
            X