How terribly sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How terribly sad

Was just trying to find a Maria Parker after 1871 no luck so went back to see if there were any clues as to where they lived in 1871 and then noticed in the last column she had Cancer ,so am more or less sure now the death I found in 1871 aged 13 is her , its really upsetting to see something like that, and I dont know why but I was surprised her family knew thats what she had bless her, just goes to show it pays to look in that column.

Val

I think doctors have diagnosed cancer for many centuries but I agree that it does seem rather odd to us because we tend to think they were medically ignorant.

OC

Comment

I was very surprised when my so many times g/gmother died of breast cancer in 1875. She had had it for 5 years. I thought it was only TB that was the 'killer' disease then. However, she was 75 not a young child.

How sad for Maria and such a young age.

Vera

Comment

Even in my lifetime, childhood cancer has gone from almost certain death to definitely treatable. I remember a work colleague's son dying in 1968 aged 3, of leukaemia, which was virtually untreatable. Nowadays most leukaemia in children can be treated and most are cured; those who aren't have their lives prolonged.

OC

Comment

I found that my grt .grt. grandfather had died from stomach cancer in 1873. I can remember feeling the shock when I received his death certificate, it was something I didn't expect to be the cause. It's a horrid disease and hopefully, one day, it will be totally treatable and more people will survive.
          Vonny

Comment

My gggrandmother died of cancer of the uterus in 1843, she was very young and left three young children. Her husband had emigrated to U.S. in 1841 and she and the children were to follow at a later date, unfortunately she took ill soon after he left UK, the children were raised by their paternal grandparents.

There's so many sad stories; is it any wonder folks were more resilient back then, as they endured so much sorrow, hardship, grief and misery.

Comment

I suppose I was more shocked at it being on the census it really shook me, funny how they affect us years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                I suppose I was more shocked at it being on the census it really shook me, funny how they affect us years later.
                Yes Val I can imagine you'd be shocked, as must say I've never seen cancer entered on a census return. Poor little mite - let's hope she didn't suffer for too long. How soon after the census was her death?

Comment

if its the right one in the Jun quarter of 1871 , I am going to send for the cert as I'm curious now.

Comment

Let us know what it says.

Comment

will do

Comment

Apparently, at that time one theory for the treatment of breast cancer was hypnosis. I doubt it had a very high success rate :(

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Some of the diagnoses are now tho0ught to be inaccurate as medical knowledge has progressed. For example, it's thought that a number of the TB patients would actually have had lung cancer - but the outcome was the same.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes I think I heard that somewhere.

Comment

well cert came and she died at 13 years of age of Lupus , not quite what I expected, very sad though.

Comment

Lupus isn't cancer, though. Perhaps the family THOUGHT she had cancer?

OC

Comment

bad enough a baby dying but when a child gets to 13 it must be very hard losing them. I wonder why they put cancer on the census ?

Comment

I was surprised to find "ovarian cancer" as the cause of death on a 1863 cert. I thought that would have been a more modern name.

Comment

me too , I didnt think they knew about that till fairly recently?

Comment

I've just been reading about Lupus on the web; it's disturbing reading and I learned it's associated with TB. I got quite emotional Val, to think one so young had such a horrible disease (the pictures are very upsetting). Poor girl to suffer so when so very young. Thank goodness medical science has progressed. We are so lucky by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                        X