Help with FindMyPast English system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with FindMyPast English system

Hi all I`ve done 3/4 of our family tree, the first 3 parts were all Scottish, and using ScotlandsPeople was reasonably easy, but I`m finding the English system a lot harder to find info? I`m signed up to FindMyPast but when I`ve found a birth or death it just shows me a name within a list of 3 monthly registrations.
    How do you find Birth certificates etc online?
    I seemed to find more information via census than birth and deaths. Any pro advice more than welcome, please help this newbie.

English Birth certificates aren't available online, you have to quote the year the quarter the page the volume number and the district its registered in to order them.
    Is that what you mean ?

Comment

Many English Parish Registers are online, you may find baptisms for your ancestors in them. I imagine you are familiar with the Family Search site which has many online baptisms and marriages, also some deaths. https://familysearch.org/search

Which areas in England are your ancestors from? If you start a thread giving details of who you are looking for we can try to help in locating baptisms, marriages, deaths in PR's.

Ancestry has a great database for London Parish Registers (baptisms 1538 - 1906), marriages 1538 - 1921), burials 1538 - 1980). West Yorkshire, Lancashire, Birmingham and others are also well covered.

Comment

If you find a record on Family Search, you can ask them to email you a copy of the original via this link

Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I was looking for a marriage certificate for Frances Ashley-Cooper and Alfred Graham Harvey probably Nottinghamshire their daughter Dorothy Frances Harvey was born 15.5.1904 Nottinghamshire, and was going to track backwards from there with hopefully like the Scottish marriage certs have their parents names on the cert too! The in the past I`ve gone marriage cert > find birth cert >find marriage cert >birth etc.

Comment

qwerty500

Here is their marriage:

Alfred Graham Harvey to
            Frances Eliza Cooper
            Mar 1903 W Ham 4a 32

You will need to order the cert from the GRO - cost £9.25. Make sure you order it as given above. The cert will tell you their father's names and you should then be able to trace them on census.

You will also find this site useful, it's free:

OC

Comment

Is this them in Hampshire?

1911, 36 Junction Road Eastbourne

Eleanor Akehurst 54, Boarding House Keeper
              Ethel Grace Akehurst 27
              Joseph Akehurst 30
              Alfred Graham Harvey 33, visitor (Directory Canvasser), Limehouse London
              Frances Eliza Harvey 33, visitor, Finsbury Park London
              Dorothy Frances Harvey 6, visitor, Finsbury Park London
              George Dolton 38
              Elizabeth Maria Dolton 36
              Violet Elizabeth Dolton 13
              Martha Dolton 5

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty5oo View Post
                I was looking for a marriage certificate for Frances Ashley-Cooper and Alfred Graham Harvey.
                qwertSoo, is Ashley her middle name, or Ashley Cooper a double barreled name, or was she born Ashley and married a Mr Cooper before her marriage to Alfred?

Comment

I was looking for a marriage certificate for Frances Ashley-Cooper and Alfred Graham Harvey probably Nottinghamshire their daughter Dorothy Frances Harvey was born 15.5.1904 Nottinghamshire, and was going to track backwards from there with hopefully like the Scottish marriage certs have their parents names on the cert too! The in the past I`ve gone marriage cert > find birth cert >find marriage cert >birth etc.
                  Unless a mother was a witness at the marriage her name will not be on the marriage cert, however father's names (if known) will be.

Birth certificates however do give mother's maiden name and father's name.

Comment

Thanks all, olde crone yes I know all the free sites now, just finding the English system a bit laborious not being able to view certificates online start away.
                    Susan H I believe her name was double barrelled Ashley-Cooper.
                    This looks like its going to take a while, with only having one name on a certificate!!

Comment

querty

Sorry, I assumed you didn't know about Freebmd as you couldn't find the marriage. Note she married as Cooper and not as Ashley Cooper.

You've been spoiled with the Scottish records, lol - took me about 5 days to do my Scottish side, has taken me more than 40 yars to do the English side!

OC

Comment

This looks like its going to take a while, with only having one name on a certificate!!
                        If you're not in a hurry, the Essex parish records are currently being indexed for the FamilySearch website. They've done 97% of them, and then they have to go through a process to ready them for final publication on the website, but that could be in the next 6-9 months. Possibly.
                        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Cheers everyone, nice to know its not just me struggling through the system. I`ll have to check with the mother in law, see If I can get more info out of her to narrow things down a bit. In the mean time I think I`ll go through some census and see what I find. Here`s my side of the Family.

One of the people on the tree could well still be alive, so I have removed the diagram until such time as we know one way or the other.

Caroline

Comment

Working...
                          X