John who ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John who ?

At the risk of being a bore, could you help me with a name transcription please. He is a witness on an 1862 Marriage Cert.

Tuesday Witness.jpg
    Last edited by AlanC; 05-11-13, 08:53.

I'll have a stab...

First three letters CON

Then SWAY? Last letter more like a Y than a G in which case previous letter more likely something like a A

though on another reading the last two letters could be NG but then previous letters SUR? Seems less likely

Comment

My immediate thought was CONWAY.

OC

Comment

I thought Conaugh

Comment

I also saw Conway OC but I think there are too many letters for that name.
          Couldn't make an 'h' on the end Val, you could be right and thanks for trying.
          Bertie, we are all seeing a 'Con' but the 'o' isn't clear after looking at a while later...............................think I'll enter 'Smith'

Comment

Connery??????

Comment

AlanC - I think O as it is similar (i.e. narrow) to the O in his first name

Comment

I have to agree with OC. I think it is Conway.
                Fran

Comment

Me too. Not-quite-joined-up writing.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                    At the risk of being a bore, could you help me ......
                    Never boring, it keeps us on our toes! I have no idea at all about this one! Can't even see CON. Wondered about CUMMING, or is the last letter not a drop one? Maybe it comes up from the word below?

Anne

Comment

There appear to be too many letters for 'Conway' but I warm to a 'Connery'..................thanks all for your input, much appreciated.

Comment

I have a John Conning in my tree in Liverpool in the area you are transcribing for.

Edna

Comment

It appears more clearly as CONWAY in the smaller version - when you enlarge it you get all the individual "extra" penstrokes.

OC

Comment

Is the last letter actually connected or is it an elaborate upstroke from the signature below it?

Comment

Debbs, the last letter is connected and not part of the beautifully scripted name below which is Eglington.
                              Edna, Sept 1864, Edward McKew, Widower marries Mary Miller a Widow all illiterate except for witness John 'Thingy' if the names have any significance for you.

Comment

1864 a good year but not the names Alan sorry

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                X