Emma Bell, born in Sunderland 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Bell, born in Sunderland 1864

I am trying to find out about my gggrandfather's third wife Emma Bell, born in 1864 in Sunderland to Robert and Sarah Bell.
    In 1871 and 1881 she is in Bishop Wearmouth with her family
    In 1891, 1901 she has returned there with two children as Emma Little.

In between we know that she married John Little in 1883 in Warrington and lived in Newton-le-Willows in Lancashire. She was 19, he was 70(!). He died in 1889.

At the moment my sister and I think she was sent away and married off.
    There must be a connection to have brought her so far away. But what?
    The Bells were a glassmaking family, her father Robert was a factory manager, but I can't find where he worked or anything else about him so far - there are so many Bells in the area.

Anyone know anything about this family?

Could this be her in 1911?

Name: Emma Little
    Age in 1911: 46
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
    Relation to Head: Housekeeper
    Birth Place: Sunderland, Durham, England
    Civil Parish: Southwick
    County/Island: Durham
    Street Address: 8 Park Sce Southwick Sunderland
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Registration District: Sunderland

Household Members:
    Name Age
    George Ernest Pattison 38
    William Denteth 34
    Emma Little 46

Possible death: Name: Emma Little
    Birth Date: abt 1865
    Date of Registration: Mar 1948
    Age at Death: 83
    Registration District: Sunderland
    Inferred County: Durham
    Volume: 1a
    Page: 1059
    Last edited by Felix; 03-11-13, 11:05.

Comment

Yes thanks, I'm pretty sure it is - her father remarried by then!
      She was alive when I was 8......

What I'm trying to get at is - how did she come to marry John?
      As I said I think she was sent of for some reason - I may never find out but it's worth trying.
      There must have been some connection to bring them together.

She seems to have cared for him, as she put memorial notices in the local paper for several years.
      (Said paper not available until 1885 and not online.)
      Alison

Comment

Have you got John Little's will. There is an entry in the probate calendar that says he was a bottle manufacturer. Emma was one of the executors. The will may give you more info about him
        Jackie

Comment

Yes, I see what you mean.

Is it possible to look into her dad's business connections and see if there's a link to John Little? Were John Little's family in the glass making business at all?

Any clues with the witnesses to their wedding? Business associates? Neighbours? Cousins?

What about the other household members with her on the 1911 census?

Comment

If the will is right, this could be him in 1881. Says he was born in Scotland

RG 11, piece 3787, folio 94, page 49
            Jackie

Comment

Yes, that's him, Night Owl. Bottle works manager. Janet his second wife - not the one I'm descended from, his first - died that year in Dublin, at his eldest son John's house.

This John was NOT in the will, which I was sent via the Newton forum a while ago. Made two months before he died, it left everything to Emma, her father, and the doctor attending him, all executors. The doctor backed out of the whole thing! His older children got nothing...there must have been ructions in the family.
              And Emma didn't go to the funeral (at the Congregational church and other women did go, although not usual then) Her father went.

I have just sent for the marriage certificate, and the two witnesses I know about are the parents of the blacksmith at the bottle works, so far as I can tell - awaiting a response from a contact related to both John and these two.

Comment

Working...
              X