Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAIRMAN / SUSSEX and POWER /IRELAND FAMILIES

Hi Team
    Looking for Charles Fairman born 1811 Brighton / Sussex he was a whaler on the L'AIGLE In 1800s died 1889
    Also Ellen Power born 1818 in County Clare Ireland father Thomas mother Anna she went to Australia in 1835 on the
    Duchess of Northumberland to Sydney to work as a housemaid for a Mr Clarke she died 1870
    Best Regards Brian

Hi and Welcome to the Forum Brian,

I am sure members will be able to offer you help here but just what will you be looking for? Census material for England and Ireland? where did Charles Fairman die, did Ellen Power die in Australia, and is there a connection between the two people.

Edna

Comment

Edna, after searching Ancestry I think Charles Fairman died in Broken Hill New South Wales, also Ellen Power appears to have been his wife - though the only evidence for that, I've found, is on family trees where some name her as Anna Ellen.

Brian, can you confirm what I've written above?

Comment

Hi Brian and welcome to FTF.

Please can you say how you know Charles was born in Brighton, Sussex? I cannot find a baptism for him in Sussex, there's one in Southwark, London, Oct 1809, do you think that could be him?

Did Charles arrive in Australia on a the convict ship 'Neptune' . There's a Charles Fairman on Ancestry's database - 'New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849'. He was born circa 1810, and arrived NSW on the Neptune in 1820, so only a boy
        Last edited by Guest; 04-11-13, 00:36.

Comment

Hi Susan / Edna
          I have death certificate for both Charles and Ellen [ who changed to her mothers name Anna why ?? ] they were married to each other
          in Sydney 1n 1843 cannot find Birth / Marriage certificate for either , records were hard to find that's why I am hoping for some family of each one may come forward from U.K and Ireland both died in Bega NSW .
          Not Southwark nor '' Neptune '' he was NOT a convict he was a whaler shipwrecked off Tonga and brought to Australia Sydney 1830
          Best Regards Brian

Comment

if you have their death certificates, they should record the details of their marriage. likewise any births for their children would also record marriage details of the parents, and where the parents were born.

Comment

brianman

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              if you have their death certificates, they should record the details of their marriage. likewise any births for their children would also record marriage details of the parents, and where the parents were born.
              Hello kylejustin
              If only it was that simple , the both death certificates only give where they were born and children ,
              parent details only for her , his details may have been lost when he was shipwrecked before coming to Sydney
              she was from Ireland and a lot Irish records were lost in a fire in 1922
              Marriage details not available just [ 1843 at St James Sydney ] have tried church look ups nothing .
              He was C of E she was R.C might have been some problem then .
              I was told records were very limited in mid 1800's if a convict or military person records were great .
              I suppose what I need is a relative in U.K / Australia /Ireland that knows their family history .
              I recently found a Joseph Fairman died 1859 in Brighton U.K [ where my ancestor was born in 1811 ] so maybe it was a relative.
              Still waiting for the transcriber to contact me.
              Best Regards

Comment

Originally posted by brianman View Post

I recently found a Joseph Fairman died 1859 in Brighton U.K [ where my ancestor was born in 1811 ] so maybe it was a relative.
                Still waiting for the transcriber to contact me.

Best Regards
                I see you have left messages on Freebmd but I'm not sure what you hope to find out from the transcriber. Those of us who transcribe for Freebmd simply transcribe the details as listed on the GRO index - ie for 1859:name, district, vol and page number. We don't see the death certificate - you would need to purchase it to find extra info such as age, address, who registered the death.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hello JudithM
                  How / where would I try , records are very limited at that time .
                  I am in Australia so not easy to find record office , any clues would be much appreciated
                  Brian

Comment

Hello Brian, You can order the certificate from the GRO website http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp The cost will be £9.25 Be careful not to order from other sites which charge a lot more for the same service. You will need to register on the site and then fill in the order details specifying that you know the ref number . Don't worry about the box for age at death, it is only necessary for recent deaths. They accept debit/credit cards and there is no extra charge for sending abroad as far as I know.
                    Year: 1859
                    quarter: July Aug Sept
                    Surname: FAIRMAN
                    Fore name: Joseph
                    District: Brighton
                    Volume: 2b
                    Page: 143
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hello JudithM
                      Thank you for your help on Joseph
                      How / where would I find birth details for Charles born 1811 Brighton or is that record too early also being a Whaler
                      would there be any record somewhere in England
                      I am doing all this history for my Grandchildren , if I survive
                      Regards Brian

Comment

I've been looking at the Sussex Family History group's members only data for Brighton, unfortunately I can't find a baptism for your man or any other Fairman entries for that period.

There are however, some burials at St Nicholas: for an infant, John Forman 21 Mar 1813 at St Nicholas, of Thomas Street, and another infant Alexander Thomas Fayrman of the Regent Coffee House 4 Sep 1820. A Richard Fairman aged 80 of Prince Albert Street was buried 11 Nov 1852, and a Harriet Fairman buried aged 73 of Trafalgar Street on 20 Dec 1847.

Comment

Working...
                        X