Issues with GRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with GRO

I am helping a friend with her search for her Birth Mother. Its her 40th Birthday soon, so she now feels time might be running out.

She was born as (examples)
    Jane Doe..in 1970...in Portsmouth

Looking in the index there are only 2 possible Jane Does that match. (First name is quite unusual)
    I ordered the 2 Certs from the GRO.
    1 arrived - It is not hers.
    I receive an email for the 2nd one telling me the 50 year rule applies and they wont send it, even though it was ordered in exactly the same fashion as the first, no Father name, only MMN.
    I spoke to them on the phone, they authorised it and said they would send it.
    Today they have AGAIN refused to send it.
    Spoke to them again, they said it has been escalated to Senior level and they will be in touch as a priority
    Has anyone else had anything like this?

I haven't had this problem yet, but I'm sure I will one day, .
    The first thing I thought was that the person who's certificate they are questioning was adopted and that an over zealous person at GRO decided to apply the 50 year rule because of that.

Just my thoughts though as I have no idea what the official rules are.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

You haven't said whether your friend was formally adopted. If she was then this web site https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records is a starting point and she should not have a major problem obtaining her birth certificate.

My wife did just that several years ago, she was interviewed by a social worker but there was no problem and so she obtained her birth certificate and her birth mothers name (which was fake!, fortunately she gave her surname correctly and part of her forename). It took me several years to find her, by which time she had died. I have no idea what is going on with GRO but it sounds as if you are getting entangled with privacy rules and the hierarchy of who is allowed to do what.

Comment

I have heard of this before - a jobsworth at the GRO with the attitude of "we know what you're up to". Not sure how you can force the issue because legislation demands that the adoptee has counselling before they are allowed their BC, if the adoption took place before 1975 (I think).

The proper route is as David states above, through the social work department and there won't be any problem with that.

How does she know her birth name, incidentally?

OC

Comment

OC - Her Adoptive Mother was a Social Worker. She told her the name, nothing else. She has passed away now.
          It was a formal adoption, however she did not want to go down that route, but I suspect she might have to.
          I would not be so surprised if they had refused both, but to send 1 and withhold the other seems a bit odd

Comment

I think they sent the other because it was the wrong one, lol - i.e. not adopted.

Yes, I think she will have to go down the official route and in my humble opinion, I do think that is the right way to go, as she is not the only person concerned in the adoption and ALL parties deserve to be protected.

OC

Comment

Can't you sent to the place of birth where the original was first recorded if it is known.

I would think Guy Etchells would have information on the procedure for requesting this type of cert so hope he looks in and comments

Edna

Comment

Edna.. I didn't think of that.
                OC - I do agree. however I have said that I will help her. but if they won't send the cert there is no help I can give. She will have to go through the more formal channels.

Comment

Debbs

I think the best help you can give her is to persuade her to go through the formal channels as soon as possible, and once you have the certificate begin the search. With so much information online, particularly electoral rolls if you are searching for a living person, there should be a good chance of success.

Comment

The other point about going through the formal channel is that she will also get to see her adoption file which will give the reasons for her adoption. There are many reasons for adoption and some of them are very unpleasant.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X